UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sending it home/Transporter - Any experience?

Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sending it home/Transporter - Any experience?

Hi,

I'm planning to send my S2000 back home to the UK (i've been working in Gibraltar for a while) in the new year perhaps with a view to putting it back on UK plates to sell.

I REALLY don't want to do the drive, believe me, i did it from Warrington Cheshire all the way to Gibraltar, and at 6ft 3, i swear ill NEVER do it again, my back was/still is in pieces

Has anyone ever done the reverse of what i'm looking into and sent a car ahead, there are various services out here but what you find is when something is particularly aimed at "ex-pats" you pay a premium. I have a friend with a trailer too but not sure what the rules are about towing across the continent.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 06:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know what kind've costs transporting a car attracts, but do you have any friends either local to you in Gibraltar or in UK who might be willing, for a small fee plus expenses, to drive it for you and fly back/fly out and drive it home? I can imagine that might appeal to some - an all expenses paid road trip that might also save you some money too?

Just a thought. Perhaps not a good one.

EDIT. Surely towing across mainland Europe isn't an issue? Enough people must do it with their caravans or trailering cars out to the Ring and Spa?

Last edited by S2Bray; 09-18-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I've used anyvan.com to move a car in the UK, they just contract it out but no issues for me

The following users liked this post:
davers (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always miss France and get the 24hr ferry crossing from Santander or Bilbao, then up from the south coast of the UK.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Car ferry sounds like the ideal solution and bit of adventure as well. Perhaps a stateroom and arrive after a night's sleep ready to drive on. Don't forget shipboard romance either.

-- Chuck
Old 09-18-2018, 11:57 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Maybe sell it there then
Old 09-19-2018, 05:46 AM

I'll check out this anyvan.com. See what they quote, ive had £650 from another place, its about £200-400 for the Santander to Portsmouth ferry plus a few tanks of petrol, have done this trip before, was great fun. Its there or there abouts on costs with the first quote ive had when i add flights to go home to meet it.

In terms of someone else driving it back for me, don't think i trust anyone i know here to do that with out stoving it into a tree, and for selling it here. Its RHD, and if im honest, the kids in Gib love their Hondas but are constantly driving round with the airboxes off in 2nd and 3rd screwing round. I'd hate to see it mistreated.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 AM

It's a piece of machinery, not a puppy. Who cares what happens to the car after you discard it?

-- Chuck
Old 09-21-2018, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
It's a piece of machinery, not a puppy. Who cares what happens to the car after you discard it?

-- Chuck
I hear you, but Gibraltar is probably the size of some of your walmart car parks over there. It would break my balls to see it mistreated, and i would see it, this place is tiny.

Spain on the other hand, just been quoted 2685 euros plus 150 euros for the initial ITV (MOT) plus 75 euros local tax to transfer to Spanish plates. So that's pretty much confirmed ill send it home to the UK.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:49 AM

Understand the sentiment if you'd see it every day in an abused state. When a buddy was selling his 50' sailboat this summer the stipulation was the buyer could not keep it at his yacht club -- seeing it all the time would have been too painful especially if it stopped being in pristine condition. He's since decided to keep the boat and sell his house but that's a different story.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Sending it home/Transporter - Any experience?