UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

shiny rims

Old 09-29-2001, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shiny rims

has anyone noticed that pics of USA cars seem to have very shiny stock rims as though the are natural alloy finish with a clear lacquer, while the UK models are painted silver is this so?
Old 09-29-2001, 11:46 AM

Er... I'm pretty sure my rims are milled alloy with a clear coat, they don't seem to be painted silver like the rims on my previous cars. Having said that I haven't had them off the car yet so I haven't seen the back of them.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

They are the same wheels with the identical finish. I had the opportunity to drive an S2000 when I returned back home to Peterborough in May. If I recall correctly, there were no reported differences between the wheels on the car I drove, and my own S2000 here in Calgary Canada. It does seem however, that vehicles in the UK have a lot of brake dust on their wheels, much more than I have ever noticed anywhere in North America. Perhaps it has to do with the higher humidity? I'm not sure. Either way, I'm that brake dust will eventually have a negative effect on the lustre of the wheels if not treated properly.
Asif
Old 09-29-2001, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VTEXTC
[B]It does seem however, that vehicles in the UK have a lot of brake dust on their wheels, much more than I have ever noticed anywhere in North America.
Old 09-29-2001, 11:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You know, I've always questioned that as well. Although, I doubt that different brake pads are being used since all the cars come from Japan. Honestly, I think the excess brake dust has to do with the humidity of the UK. I could be wrong! I'm really not too sure.
Asif
Old 09-29-2001, 11:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by PWE 896

I have a huge brake dust problem, esepcially at the front. Do Honda use a different pad for the UK, do you think?

Pete
If you compare the cost Honda UK charge for the pads they must be different (Robbing gets)
Old 09-30-2001, 04:53 AM

Yep the brake dust on the front wheels is awful. My son has changed from Toyota's own pads to Ferrodo which has largely cured the problem. You need to keep an eye on the stock wheels BTW. At the back of the spokes it's just bare unfinished metal. Where the finish on the spokes meets the unfinished back of the wheel at that quite sharp edge on the spokes is where you'll tend to get corrosion problems, heightened Im sure by the brake dust problem!

Pain in the ass!
Old 09-30-2001, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is quite a lot of brake dust. I clean the wheels one a week. I use a small (2" square) sponge with the car shampoo. Wrap round a finger, and run round a section at a time. Rinse a lot. Take care, and if you've small fingers like me you can clean the back of the spokes.

Takes about a minute per wheel tops. Also once you've got in the habit of doing it once a week, it seems to stop the brake dust sticking as well.

I've tried Autoglyms wheel cleaner, and that didn't do as good a job, took longer, and was pretty nasty stuff. That's once Autoglym product I'll do without. I've also tried the wheel brush, and that's nothing like as effective as a small sponge with finger pressure.

I used this small sponge technique after a track day in my ITR, where the white wheels were black with brake dust. Took about twice as long but still came clean very easily.

-Brian.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:44 AM

Yes.. I agree on the small sponge technique although I don't do the back of the wheels. How do you say anally retentive!

I never use any proprietory wheel cleaners unless the situation is desperate. Most of them remove the crap due to being slightly acidic which is no good for the finish. Better not to let the crap build up to that extent in the first place.

Nothing mars the appearance of an otherwise tidy car like crappy wheels.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall

I've tried Autoglyms wheel cleaner, and that didn't do as good a job, took longer, and was pretty nasty stuff. That's once Autoglym product I'll do without. I've also tried the wheel brush, and that's nothing like as effective as a small sponge with finger pressure.

-Brian.
The Autoglym alloy cleaner is just a dilute acid!

In the past I have used ordinary household washing up liquid on my wheels as I find it lifts the brake dust pretty well. Follow this up with the same car wash you use on the rest of the car and you get a pretty resistant finish.

Zymol (sorry! I honestly don't have shares in them ) do a neat product called Wheel Coat that you spray on after cleaning and is supposed to minimise corrosion and dirt adhesion. I can't swear it works yet but it does leave your alloys lovely and shiny.

Autoglym's instant show shine aerosol spray also does a good job of adding shine and protection to alloys, I used to swear by it.

I am "bench testing" the wheel cleaners from both Porsche Tequipment and Zymol against each other at present but to be honest I think the soapy water and sponge/brush method is at least as effective.

Halfords do a great alloy cleaning brush kind of like a small very slightly abrasive sponge on a stick, this is great in those awkward corners

Quick Reply: shiny rims