UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

shiny steering wheel

Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shiny steering wheel

As there's F#!k all else to post about at the moment I thought I'd tell you about my steering wheel.

I don't have pictures (saving those for the calendar!) so you will have to imagine a steering wheel which is shiny.

Anyway, short story long. When I bought the car I thought that a nice matt steering wheel was only introduced in the later models because all the 2nd hand cars that I looked at had really nasty shiny interiors. Turtle Wax Cockpit Shine really has a lot to answer for.

So over the last 20K miles things have been looking a little more worn and the wheel has started to get that tell tail shiny look. I've tried various cleaners and to be honest I think that the majority of leather care products make it worse. Leather care products that make your seats slippy are a pet peeve of mine.

So finally got round to buying some Gliptone recently but of course applying that onto already shiny leather is not going to help much.

After a whole 3 minutes of research I found some BMW owners site where they were extolling the virtues of some special sponge. There's even a you yube video on the subject.

Having traced said sponge to JMLs fine range of Doktor Power cleaning products, in this case the Magic Eraser. A swift trip to Homebase and without lingering to long in the tools and anorak section, I had my Magic sponge thingy.

10 minutes with a slice of Magic Eraser and tepid water had the streering wheel, seats and plastics looking like they did when the car was new. By this stage the bowl of water was going a nice shade of dirt and grime.
A very quick wipe over with some Gliptone Cleaner and then leather feed and it now looks and smells like it should and not a slippy slidy nasty bit of trim or leather in sight.

Now post something interesting or I'll tell you how I've polished my exhaust manifold.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I use the 'magic sponge' myself, here is a pic of my recently done interior and recently 'refurbed' steering wheel.

I think you can make out how 'matt' the wheel actually looks, and with 70000 miles on the clock
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 AM

I was going to suggest you buy a VGS steering wheel, they go well with Moonrock interiors Clive
Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered it from Amazon.co.uk, £5.50 delivered - saves the embarassment of being seen in Homebase!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have to show me how its done by demonstrating the technique on my car
Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I discovered a couple of weeks ago that glass cleaner and a microfibre cloth do the same thing on the steering wheel and dash.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Got to go to Homebase later this week (park at halfrauds and creep in) defo getting the sponge thingy!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM

I've got one of these under the kitchen sink .... must give it a try. It is very effective when I have used it in the house
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Autoglym also do a magic sponge:

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-prodd...06VQ=HK&Range=1

Probably a lot more expensive than JML though

An alternative is the Flash Mark and Stain Eraser (if you can find them).

Chris.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You're right Nine Bolts - there DOES seem to be far call to post about these days!

I've long been looking for something to take that shine off the plastics/leather. I agree - just about everything makes it worse.

I'll give the eraser a go...

Quick Reply: shiny steering wheel