UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

should i buy an ecu ?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway speak to richmc or pm me and I can give you my own experience but apart from that there are better people on here than me to listen to
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by b000n
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1393491758' post='23036587
[quote name='Middlesbrough' timestamp='1393491427' post='23036584']
Are you drive by wire?
OP has a 2003 so no DBW, But it does amuse me that he wants to change the ECU but dosn't even know what it does.

And if you think £400 is expensive for a mod, when you want to make real and significant gains just look at the cost of FI.

Yes I admit I do not really know what a ecu does , that's why I am askin you lot for advice .....

And I thought 400 quid is quite expensive when you take into account what it is ...

So I ask again all I know is that an ecu allows you to contoll and tweek your car's performance via a computer ... Is this correct ??????
[/quote]

Seriously though, the standard ECU on the S cannot be tweeked, on the later ones at least, an aftermarket one can but without big mods like forced induction the gains will be a few to tens of HP, if you think the investment is worth it fine but to make full use of it you will be spending £k's on a turbo or SC, as a non DBW you might want to look at a launch/traction control. As for £400 being expensive, it's not, spares and mods for the S2000 are not going to be cheap.

Basic functions of an ECU here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit
Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

B00n, if you don't know what an ECU is / does, I'd spend a few months reading about car tuning in general and read a lot of posts on here and in the NA tuning forum.

If you don't you will just get confused and end up buying the wrong parts, and being ripped off.

Mine has cams, ECU, intake, manifold, exhaust system,intake, etc and it does have a fair bit more power than standard, but it wasn't cheap!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
As for £400 being expensive, it's not, spares and mods for the S2000 are not going to be cheap.
Depends on what it is. I've spent plenty on the car but still wouldn't pay 400 for a throttle body that's not going to do much.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 AM

Hi B00n

I have spent fair bit of money on my S2K on N/A tuning like MB said its not cheap to go down the NA route but it all depends on what you want really below is my thread and I have tested few manifolds in terms of power gain and NA tuning

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/105...moonrock-grey/
Old 02-27-2014, 02:10 AM

Gbduo is the latest guy to try and move universes. But I think he's doing a good job so might be an idea to hit him up
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tend to stay out of these threads as its been covered many times, however i tried to find a thread i wrote a long time ago on this subject but cant.

I'm going to say an ECU is basically responsible for the day to day running of the car almost everything (like switching on fans, the performance, starting etc etc) some items have their own control unit, inside this ECU (electronic control unit) are hard-coded electronic maps computer files if you like which can be accessed and reprogrammed - unfortunately not until 06+ on the S2000, since before 06 it is processor based. There lots of threads by me but for a starter you have piggyback/standalone ECU varying in price and effectiveness.

Since all we are interested in is the performance side all you need to know that to generate the power is ignition timing (the point at which the spark plug fires relative to TDC), and cam switchover (vtec) and fueling (amount of air and fuel mixture), thus these tables can be altered/tweaked to extract more power.

A typical uneducated response (i recall an old boss of mine who couldn't grasp this fact), is why didn't Honda just get the most power out of it?

Manufacturers have to leave some buffer/room on the table for example, differing climates, noise, emissions, fuel quality, vibrations, longevity, space for better models, people who don't service their car when they should etc etc. So with this why we have room on the table to improve and extract more power.

The F20c is in a high state of tune (a well designed, well flowing, relatively small capacity engine) however power can be extracted with basic bolt on's such as an ECU, manifold, decat, TB, exhaust. Because its normally aspirated and in this state of tune this gets expensive very quickly due to the nature of the modifications, these help the movement of exhaust gases and increase efficiency thus power simply.

Now having tuned now i think 11 S2000's in various guises, you'll need to spend anything from 2.5k to 5k (second hand to new) you can achieve gains of 25-30BHP and around 15-20 lb ft torque. Will this make a massive difference in an outright sprint? - it will by a small amount but the responsiveness/noise is often overlooked, its upt you if you think its worth it.

ATETOD your looking at around 2.5k for small ish gains for a slightly quicker car.

I suggest you may go out in an NA tuned one, but for me if you have the dosh skip straight to forced induction it will be much more potent and not much more with gains 3 or 4 times the amount.

Been there, got the T shirt blah blah

Old 02-27-2014, 02:24 AM
Community Organizer

b000n, as others have already said you can easily get carried away with spending lots of money on mods that although will make the car better to drive will not give you significant power gains.

There are a fair few of us now that have gone down the F/I route with either s/c or turbo which as others have said is not cheap but the results are 400 bhp+

You are looking at £600+ for a 2nd hand AEM ECU although there are some cheaper options such as the Greddy emanage which I believe that you can pick up for around £400

As MB has already says do you research, that is key here as if you do intend to go down the F/I route later you may not want to bother wasting money on a throttle body

There is plenty of knowledge on here so use the 'search' function and if you can't find it on there then just ask

And with AJ's comments above
Old 02-27-2014, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
I tend to stay out of these threads as its been covered many times, however i tried to find a thread i wrote a long time ago on this subject but cant.
I
I'm going to say an ECU is basically responsible for the day to day running of the car almost everything (like switching on fans, the performance, starting etc etc) some items have their own control unit, inside this ECU (electronic control unit) are hard-coded electronic maps computer files if you like which can be accessed and reprogrammed - unfortunately not until 06+ on the S2000, since before 06 it is processor based. There lots of threads by me but for a starter you have piggyback/standalone ECU varying in price and effectiveness.

Since all we are interested in is the performance side all you need to know that to generate the power is ignition timing (the point at which the spark plug fires relative to TDC), and cam switchover (vtec) and fueling (amount of air and fuel mixture), thus these tables can be altered/tweaked to extract more power.

A typical uneducated response (i recall an old boss of mine who couldn't grasp this fact), is why didn't Honda just get the most power out of it?

Manufacturers have to leave some buffer/room on the table for example, differing climates, noise, emissions, fuel quality, vibrations, longevity, space for better models, people who don't service their car when they should etc etc. So with this why we have room on the table to improve and extract more power.

The F20c is in a high state of tune (a well designed, well flowing, relatively small capacity engine) however power can be extracted with basic bolt on's such as an ECU, manifold, decat, TB, exhaust. Because its normally aspirated and in this state of tune this gets expensive very quickly due to the nature of the modifications, these help the movement of exhaust gases and increase efficiency thus power simply.

Now having tuned now i think 11 S2000's in various guises, you'll need to spend anything from 2.5k to 5k (second hand to new) you can achieve gains of 25-30BHP and around 15-20 lb ft torque. Will this make a massive difference in an outright sprint? - it will by a small amount but the responsiveness/noise is often overlooked, its upt you if you think its worth it.

ATETOD your looking at around 2.5k for small ish gains for a slightly quicker car.

I suggest you may go out in an NA tuned one, but for me if you have the dosh skip straight to forced induction it will be much more potent and not much more with gains 3 or 4 times the amount.

Been there, got the T shirt blah blah

Thank you very much for this feedback , it is extremely appreciated ... So I take it what your sayin is - if I really want significant horse power increases go down the forced induction route .

If I buy an ecu and throttle body etc I will only get a slight hp increase and will cost quite a lot of money for the mild improvement of performance and power ...

Once again thank you
Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 AM

Even with basic bolts-on mods and an ECU capable of being mapped I think you would struggle to make the Honda quoted BHP from factors.

Quick Reply: should i buy an ecu ?