S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Should Non-Members be able to list items for sale? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/should-non-members-able-list-items-sale-230605/)

User 11317 08-24-2004 11:34 AM

Should Non-Members be able to list items for sale?

It's been asked before, so why not again?

Just seems to me that for less than the cost of an Auto Trader advert, membership should be the fee for an advert to sell. After all the seller gets a concentrated focus of the right people and lots of FREE advice.

Remember the question is ...
The For Sale Forum should be restricted to Members ONLY for anything at all. - I Vote YES

If you think it should be a "FREE" for all then Vote NO.

:)

There's now a simple question. Yes or No? For anything

Bassoctopus 08-24-2004 11:39 AM

I'm undecided on this one Allan.

I have no problem with people coming on and contributing to the board and selling stuff, it just really p1sses me off when someone doesn't even say hello and expects a free ad.

So I guess it's got to be a yes

AquilaEagle 08-24-2004 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jaeger,Aug 24 2004, 08:34 PM
It's been asked before, so why not again?

Just seems to me that for less than the cost of an Auto Trader advert, membership should be the fee for an advert to sell. After all the seller gets a concentrated focus of the right people and lots of FREE advice.

The Americans have the right idea on this and don't allow non-members to list items in their For Sale & Wanted forum.

Allan part of your statement is incorrect.

The existing board policy on the s2ki For Sale Forum is: Owners may only sell items.

The thinking behind this was that non owners could sign up for the s2ki membership fee and as you say, for a low cost whore all their dodgy goods, stolen s2k parts etc etc.

Since cthree has overhauled the membership and Ownership status system we are awaiting clarity on the policy going forward, currently non members cannot post in their i think due to the way that forum permissions work in IPB software, vs the hack they had in place in the VBB software previously.

Just a point of clarity too - It isn't "The Americans" who dont allow that, cthree is actually Canadian, and it is his policy as MD of PVLLC, owners of s2ki ;) Those for sale sections are International - I have bought a number of things there, so we are free to use those forums as UK'ers too :)

The policy for the UK For Sale Section, which we created not so long ago, is not legislated by s2ki, and it is up to the CO's of any regional forum to decide what their policy is. Therefore, it is also up to the users of that regional forum, as generally we take concencus and implement that.

Currently the policy we have in place is almost what you are intimating, that is, Members may only post items for sale, non members must only sell S2000 related items, and Commercial posters must obtain permission before posting.

If we've missed some Non members adverts, then I apologise, it has been rather busy recently and some may have slipped through the nets!

Don't mean to lecture or be boring, but just wanted to clarify :)

Watching the poll with interest to see what everyone thinks, though :)

Fieldl 08-24-2004 11:55 AM

:iagree: with that. It's not like it is expensive, and whilst in the main I don't have a problem with people advertising stuff it's just the odd few that only join to advertise.

This board is great full of enthusiastic (sp?) people and is a great resource and no one should be forced to pay but if you want to sell something on it seems only fair that you should contribute towards the running costs.

.....but did I just click no :egads:

Lurking Lawyer 08-24-2004 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jaeger,Aug 24 2004, 08:34 PM
The Americans have the right idea on this and don't allow non-members to list items in their For Sale & Wanted forum.

I don't think that's the case. The main FS&W board requires you to be an OWNER, not a member, before you can sell.

Non-members are currently limited in the UK FS&W board to selling only S2000-related stuff. Only members get to sell their non-related junk.

I think it's bad forum etiquette for your first post to be a simple FS thread with no introduction or previous posts - but I'm not personally in favour of ads being limited to paid up members.

AquilaEagle 08-24-2004 11:58 AM

Might I just add, too, if i may...

The membership system has been down for the last 3 months, meaning it has been impossible to purchase s2ki membership up until a week or 3 ago. For this reason too, i think it was probably a bit harsh removing ads, if people may well have seen the value of the forums and decided to become a member.

Also one must remember that some of the members' priveledges are not fully bug free yet. There are still improvements being made to the Photo albums, email is being overhauled.. etc. :)

User 11317 08-24-2004 12:01 PM

Lecture like, and boring. :LOL:

Post corrected.

Didn't know you had to manually edit the FREEBIES. Well one has slipped through your net. Get whoring and get it orff.

OK I'll edit the Poll and just ask the question, and my vote will still be YES.

:beginrant: To many Feckin' Liberals around, we'll be offering FREE feckin' delivery for the barstewards next! :banghead: :/Rantnotover:

AquilaEagle 08-24-2004 12:05 PM

Jaeger, you got shares in s2ki or something? next you'll be telling us all to click the ads!! :LOL:

Fletch 08-24-2004 12:08 PM

Like the little jewish boy said to the Rabbi...
It's no skin off my nose. :)

I just follow the rules. I don't make 'em.
Yup. I'm a pussy.
:D

User 11317 08-24-2004 12:11 PM

And another thing........

Don't forget to CLICK the ADS!

:)