UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Silver MATS, Silver MATS and even More Silver bl**dy MATS...Please read...

Old 01-15-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver MATS, Silver MATS and even More Silver bl**dy MATS...Please read...

I recently decided not to buy Muz's floor mats (no good reason just held back).

I then decided that I would order some charcoal floor mats from Honda to replace my old cars mats (Still had them but they were very tatty after having lived in the garage for 6 months - They had become a Spider's killing ground).

So I went to the dealer and ordered a set of Charcoal mats. When they arrived they were silver ( That's a bit generous actually they more leery grey than silver).

Anyway, I explained he had the wrong mats and promptly produced the original dark mats I had from Honda. He told me that I was wrong. He said my dealer must have sold me a pup and bought some aftermarket mats. He said that this was all Honda had ever done. After I stopped scratching my head I then found the original Honda packaging and demonstrated that I had actually received pukka Honda mats.

This had us both scratching our heads. The part code was exactly the same on both packages. However, my dark mats were bought originally after a set of leery silver mats ( I binned them as they were too gross even for my silver car).

So he found an accessories brochure and there we looked at both types of mat (Silver, and Charcoal). Both with the same part code.

So I called the Honda UK Customer Service number in Slough. This was where things got very confusing. I spoke to a member of staff there and explained the situation.

I said that I had a Monte Carlo blue car with a black interior and only wanted a simple plain set of mats for my car. I didn't want the leery Silver as it frightened all my passengers. She was very sympathetic and went off to investigate. After a few days she came back with the following...

Honda ONLY now produce the Silver mat for the S2000. No other mat is in the pipeline. The material that has been used to produce all other mats was found to be inferior to the material in the Silver mat (Apparently fibre lengths have changed and the Silver is a stronger, thicker mat).

She was very apologetic about this and has decided to send me a free set of mats. This was very kind but they are still particularly leery. She also said that if I don't like them she will be willing to contribute towards the cost of a set of Muz mats (We didn't agree a figure at this time).

I await my new mats...with trepidation.

I did ask what Honda would do about this. She will mail the product manager and see what he says. I explained that Honda have a unique floorplan in the S2000 and to leave me with Silver as the only option is to let me down badly. Imagine if I have a black car with a black interior? What would this look like?

To spend
Old 01-15-2002, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SimonJackson
[B]
Old 01-15-2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by mikerich

But I am currently trying to acquire Andy W.'s Muz mats
That's acquired Mike!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:39 PM

I have the OEM and Muz's mats.
I can only recommend the Muz mats to be honest.
The smaller Honda mats are inadequate for the task (too small).
Old 01-15-2002, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by awinskill

That's acquired Mike!
Andy - you have an email - date, time, place - Watford's in my London A-Z
Old 01-16-2002, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've every mat combination under the sun.

My car (MC Blue) came with grey mats with red trim. I also bought some black/blue trim Muz Premium, with heel protectors etc. The Muz driver's side mat didn't fit too well and was riding up, so I changed back to the oem mats. These worked well for pivoting my right foot, but didn't look like they'd last long. So I ordered a set of Autostyle mats - wanting a better mat. While I'm waiting for the Autostyle, the oem are getting the worse for wear. So I bought UK Paul's oem mats, as he was happy with his new Muz mats. These are black with red edging - much better than the silver! So I used these.
Finally, the Autostyle mats arrived. And they were crap. Really poor logo. Only went in front of the crossmembers, and din't fit there to well. The blue itself was abolutly hideous - looked like very cheap nylon colour. (The mat's aren't Nylon, but I hope you know what I mean by the colour... eugh.). So the Autostyle were only in the car for 5 mins. So finally, I decided to make the drivers side Muz mat fit. I had to take part of the Mat over the crossmember apart, trim it slightly and resew it. Not easy - I had to get a special needle for the sewing machine. This improved things, and with some care and the velcro that came with the mats it sits quite well. Not perfect, certainly not as good as other owner's mats I've seen but good enough.
Oh, I used the Autostyle mats to kneel on when cleaning the car. They're just about good enough for that!

-Brian.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Muz 'premium' 1 piece mats and really like them (heel protector on drivers side only). The passenger side fitted really well from day one. The geometry of the floor on the drivers side causes more of a problem with fit. However I attached the supplied velcro, and hooked the mat over the 'post' and whenever the car was sitting for a few hours placed my wifes kitchen weights (3lb, 2lb and 1lb ) at strategic poinys to help the mat settle - and settle it has - it fits the complex shap of the floor as well as you could reasonably expect and does not move at all. So, I'm a happy bunny
Old 01-16-2002, 12:44 AM

lol, just to counterpoint Brian's experience I have a set of the Autostyle mats and love them to bits. Admittedly I shied away from having a logo embroidered but the red is practically a perfect match to the OEM red carpet and the red leather binding looks very natty. I was quite impressed with Brian's Muz mats when I saw them on Staurday - much better than at the Cotswolds meet but I am loath to fit charcoal or black mats against the red interior... next time I'll go for the Black leather
Old 01-16-2002, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have Honda grey mats with a silver trim and they're fine for me. Each to his own I suppose.

It's a bit like the rear well. I just went down to my local material shop and bought some very soft black material which I folded to shape and placed in the well to protect the rear window. Does the job a treat and cost me about
Old 01-16-2002, 12:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Tifosi Red
but I am loath to fit charcoal or black mats against the red interior... next time I'll go for the Black leather
I have red leather and went for charcoal Muz mats - I was aware how difficult matching the interior red would be. I like the charcoal tho - it matches the rest of the black interior plastic - better than black would I feel.