UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Skid Marques - Hutton (Essex)

Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skid Marques - Hutton (Essex)

Was going to pay Dixon M/Sport a visit tomorrow for a 4-wheel alignment check nothing wrong with the car as far as I'm aware but after 4yrs on the road I thought it wouldn't hurt to check it out).

Anyhow; I've just passed 'Skid Marques' in Hutton(Brentwood)/Essex, who use the same Hunter Hawk Eye equipment, are closer and cheaper.

I wondered if any mbr's have used them and if so what they thought (good, bad, or indifferent).

I didn't thin the name sounded very professional but had a quick look inside the premises, and all look fine.

Look forward to hearing mbr's thoughts.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

The Hunter kit is first class but if "skid marques" are a new outfit it might be worth dropping back in and giving them a grilling to see what they know. Theres also Elite Tyres on the A13 at Rainham, they always did a decent job on my old CRX. Remember though Dixons are one of the most knowligable outfits out there and know the S2000 inside and out.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 AM

High RichMC.

Yep I hear what your saying about DMS knowing the S2K inside out (that thought is still in the back on my head).

What I'm not sure though is whether a 4W alignment is a fairly straight forward check/adjustment. How much input there is from the technician or does the equipment do all the detailed/tricky work (for example; what degree of skill is required to position it correctly prior to checking, and assuming adjustments are made, to re-position/check/confirm/etc).

At the end of the day if I'm not sure I'll go with DMS as they are tried, tested, and trusted.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by curren1963
High RichMC.

Yep I hear what your saying about DMS knowing the S2K inside out (that thought is still in the back on my head).

What I'm not sure though is whether a 4W alignment is a fairly straight forward check/adjustment. How much input there is from the technician or does the equipment do all the detailed/tricky work (for example; what degree of skill is required to position it correctly prior to checking, and assuming adjustments are made, to re-position/check/confirm/etc).

At the end of the day if I'm not sure I'll go with DMS as they are tried, tested, and trusted.
The hunter kit is clamped onto the wheels and readings taken with a laser, this is fed into a computer that has the settings for your car set in, computer tells the tech what the settings ought to be and what they are, it's then a matter adjusting to get things alinged properly, if you just want a standard road set up then most techs will do a decent job. DMS on the otherhand will know how to set up the car for more aggesive/responsive/high speed stable etc settings like extra rear camber for faster cornering but at the expense of faster tyre ware. They will of corse do a first class job of a standard set up but so will most techs. If you go on the Hunter websits it gives a good explination of how the kit works.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Moderator comment: Curren, please do not use text speak in future, thanks. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/131...ad-this-first/
Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Hi matey. I'm down the road from skid marques and used them a few times for geo and tyres. I've also been to DMS for geo and brake discs/pads change. Both are top notch and as you have probably seen the kit in Hutton is all shiny and new.

That said, DMS knows his stuff with regard to the S and the geo will be setup to how you derive your driving and also in consideration of the tyres you have on the car (some tyres are less tolerant of a larger negative camber than others so he informed me).

The guys in Hutton will also provide you with advice and if you have the geo settings the rest is plain sailing for them as the hawkeye equipment does appear to make it so much more manageable!!

If you would like to get a feel for the DMS "special setup" to see if it suits your driving style then PM me and we can sort something out before the next Essex Odyssey (sorry Chip - was that an infringement of your copyright ).
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by curren1963
Anyhow; I've just passed 'Skid Marques' in Hutton(Brentwood)/Essex, who use the same Hunter Hawk Eye equipment, are closer and cheaper.
Ah - not a laundrette then?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Hammy, you have long term rights to use the name, its OCD high jackers that do not.

On topic, I had Elite tell me I had 6% of toe in on the rears once following the fitting of 2 tyres. I didn't get them to do any thing about it, as the car didn't feel odd and the tyres that came off with 2mm of tread left, had very even wear so no real signs of excessive" toe in" when I had the Geo done at WIM a few weeks later it was very close to OEM and only need minor adjustments.

But interesting to know of some where nearer than WIM etc
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Hammy, you have long term rights to use the name, its OCD high jackers that do not.

On topic, I had Elite tell me I had 6% of toe in on the rears once following the fitting of 2 tyres. I didn't get them to do any thing about it, as the car didn't feel odd and the tyres that came off with 2mm of tread left, had very even wear so no real signs of excessive" toe in" when I had the Geo done at WIM a few weeks later it was very close to OEM and only need minor adjustments.

Interesting - when I had my S2k I had the Geo done by Elite - it never felt right and then a few months later took it to CoG and CF confirmed the Geo work Elite had done was complete bollox. It is good to know there is now local expertise that could well be good - might take the MPS there and if they are good will take my future S2k there one day....
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChriS_2k
Originally Posted by CHIPPO' timestamp='1314216622' post='20910175

Interesting - when I had my S2k I had the Geo done by Elite - it never felt right and then a few months later took it to CoG and CF confirmed the Geo work Elite had done was complete bollox. It is good to know there is now local expertise that could well be good - might take the MPS there and if they are good will take my future S2k there one day....
Shame they used to be realy good

Quick Reply: Skid Marques - Hutton (Essex)