UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Smaller things to start with to get the most out of it

Old 08-19-2015, 05:25 AM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

If you know how to make the adjustments coil-overs can help -- on specific tracks or auto-cross courses. For street and back road driving and handling the stock suspension works great with good tires (which are the critical cornering item). Track handling is about learning the line thru specific, known corners that are run 50 times in a 50 lap circuit something that does not occur on the street. For the vast majority of us coil-overs merely lower the car an inch or so and look kool in the wheel wells. They have the same handling improvements under non track driving that painting your brake calipers red does.

Not sure what tires are available in the UK. While I'm running Bridgestome RE-11A tires and will probably fit the RE-71s tires when these wear out the Toyo R1R looks good to me. T1R looks to be slightly lower in performance. Probably not noticeable.

If your car is DBW and tuneable to for it.

-- Chuck
Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by DanGamble
I did have a look through that thread and was gonna go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 but they didn't seem to do them in my size so stuck with what i know. When it comes to my next swap i'll post asking for suggestions i guess. Just hard to get away from what you know
If you have 16" wheels then Bridgestone RE002 are a good recommendation.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do tyres next, then get some cash together for coilovers + anti bump steer (rear) + steering rack spacers + polybushes (you'll probably need to) + geo.

This was not cheap to do, but it's a jump-step up in terms of handling for me. The car is great out of the box, but it can do some ridiculous cornering if you give the suspension some love.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by DanGamble' timestamp='1439990074' post='23719217
I did have a look through that thread and was gonna go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 but they didn't seem to do them in my size so stuck with what i know. When it comes to my next swap i'll post asking for suggestions i guess. Just hard to get away from what you know
If you have 16" wheels then Bridgestone RE002 are a good recommendation.
Funnily enough that's what i've just changed from. Can't say i had any problem with them to be fair they held up pretty well on the Carlimits day
Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 AM

how old is the car? If still on original shocks then changing those first would be my suggestion. Stick with OEM springs if you want - works fine on mine. You don't know how much your shox are shagged until you get a nice new sporty set
Old 08-19-2015, 06:20 AM

It's an 02 basically unmolested been owned mostly by old people so it probably is due some standard maintenance they may have missed To be fair i literally have no problems with the car at all but changing the tyres + brakes just made want to start tinkering or potentially look into something like an Evo or an STi that will give me the straight line i want with nippy corners
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Just saw a mechanic i use today and he suggested getting some geo set up done with the stock setup already on the car and then get some breathing stuff done as opposed to the coilover route. The car mainly will be used as a daily with occasional track use and said this would probably be a better way to go with keeping that in mind.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't expect to gain much/any power with breathing mods without spending ££££'s and an aftermarket ECU. A CAI will make a good noise though, has always put a grin on my face!
Old 08-19-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about some braided brake lines and decent brake fluid to complement your new discs and pads?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanGamble
Just saw a mechanic i use today and he suggested getting some geo set up done with the stock setup already on the car and then get some breathing stuff done as opposed to the coilover route. The car mainly will be used as a daily with occasional track use and said this would probably be a better way to go with keeping that in mind.
Thought about this earlier and wondered why no one else had suggested getting the geo done. Definitely worth doing as you don't know if or when it was done previously.

Quick Reply: Smaller things to start with to get the most out of it