UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Snorkel In...

Old 08-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel In...

My snorkel arrived today and after a little bit of jiggery pokery and sanding of the bottom hole to get it through the gap I managed to get it seated...

Problem is now that the bonnet struggles to shut - in fact I daren't push it to full click! The snorkel seems to be sat flush and the bonnet hold up bar clicks into it's place but the 'hump' of the snorkel means the bonnet won't shut...

Have had a quick chat with Mikey (previous owner with real snorkel) and he agreed the options are sanding down offending part and/or alter the bonnet latch

I know the sanding may get messy given that it is fibreglass but I can always spray afterwards and I'm not precious about it looking nice - and I don't mind altering the bonnet latch but I don't want it to look raised or lop sided and I would only feel comfortable altering the main latch not any of the sides or hinges as some posts on here have illustrated ...

Pics below show snorkel and potential points of sanding - I'm hoping someone else has done this and can advise the best bit to attack!

Sitting flush once in against the radiator and airbox - lid goes on with no drama (found this was an issue with some of these but seems fine here)

The problem seems to be at the point the bonnet meets it, if you look at these two, especially the profile one you can see how it sticks up at a certain point..

As far as sanding goes the obvious place to do it is on the point of the last pic - I doubt I could get the whole bump off without going right through the fibreglass so I figure a bit of sanding and then a minor latch adjustment?

I will try the latch first obviously - I just want it to sit as flush as possible! Also, I have a K&N GenII arriving shortly, would this make a difference as it looks like it sits lower than the stock airbox? I'm not sure if it would as the issue seems to be the point just above the rad cover which is unrelated... (I'll just answer my own question!)

Any thoughts or tips appreciated guys as always...
Old 08-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second to last picture suggest it is not sitting flush with the cross member.
Unclip the cable that runs across the front of the cross member and tucj it under that will give you more space to adjust the snorkel

Ohh get that engine bay cleaned
It was never that dirty when I had it
Old 08-30-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Move the bonnet latch down a few mil, IIRC 2 bolts to undo

I dont have a snorkle now though, the rate at which the filter got dirty was a PITA.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 PM

I will probably be cleaning it in prep for it being filmed for the Used Car of the Year Awards....

It felt flush on the cross member and the cable didn't seem to be in the way but I will have a play and take another look...
Old 08-30-2007, 10:02 PM

I've never really understood how altering the bonnet latch could help - if the bonnet is not closing flush with the rest of the body work, how is altering the catch going to help?

I am in the process of fitting a Muz snorkel along with my K&N Gen II. You will need to hack the air filter end of the snorkel off a fair bit (maybe 2-3 inches).

I am almost certainly going to have to cut the bonnet lining to get mine to fit. There is another post about it somewhere around here...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Aug 30 2007, 09:20 PM
Move the bonnet latch down a few mil, IIRC 2 bolts to undo

I dont have a snorkle now though, the rate at which the filter got dirty was a PITA.
Don't you mean move the bonnet latch up a few mm?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:08 AM

yeah if you lift the latch a small amount you can then adjust the rubber blocks - mine fitted a treat after 20 mins of fiddling - no need for cutting holes etc. Though as Mikey said 2nd pic from last look like it i pushed back too far into the airbox - slide it forward a little to flatten it out.

Oh and it looks the same as the one I had, matt finish. You can spray it with plasticote paint if you want a gloss colour - works a treat
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 AM

Cheers Nick, which rubber blocks, I think there are numerous ones, just the ones at the front or at the sides too?

Also, does your bonnet stick up at all, i.e. not sit flush with the body as a result?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 AM

the front corners. they twist IIRC. I sold car now but it sat very flush. didnt without the adjustment though - was very wonky before
Old 08-31-2007, 03:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey k,Aug 30 2007, 08:19 PM
Second to last picture suggest it is not sitting flush with the cross member.
Unclip the cable that runs across the front of the cross member and tucj it under that will give you more space to adjust the snorkel

Ohh get that engine bay cleaned
It was never that dirty when I had it

Has Mikey 'done' the bonnet frame with a ball pein hammer already?

A little reshaping allows the bonnet to close perfectly, without this nasty latch adjustment; a Honda should have perfectly-flush shut lines.

Quick Reply: Snorkel In...