UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soft top roof cracking prevention

Old 10-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top roof cracking prevention

Im looking to stick some material on the inside of my soft top roof in order to stop it cracking where it folds. Has anyone else tried this? If so what material/glue combo did you try?

Im thinking evostick or something fairly flexible and some suede or leather

Any pointers would be great, im trying to prolong the inevitable soft top roof change.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:46 PM

Just an idea, how about using a bicycle repair kit that glue is not to messy.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black duck tape?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:07 AM

There is a section in there about premature roof wear !!

Andy
Old 10-07-2007, 02:14 AM

I would avoid this as it might actually accelerate wear. There is a lot on here about avoiding the wear by protecting the hood material from the frame. I'd look at that first.

I think it was Shopman who published a neat idea about covering the two main hinge points. I've done it pretty much following has advice except I used some old black fleece material. So far no signs of wear on the hood material
Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 AM

[QUOTE=aldfort,Oct 7 2007, 10:14 AM] I would avoid this as it might actually accelerate wear. There is a lot on here about avoiding the wear by protecting the hood material from the frame. I'd look at that first.

I think it was Shopman who published a neat idea about covering the two main hinge points. I've done it pretty much following has advice except I used some old black fleece material. So far no signs of wear on the hood material
Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 AM

Aaaaaargh!! When anyone talks about stregthening the roof will people stop bringing up the old chestnut about the hinge points as per above - it just confuses things. There is a location (adjacent to the bottom rear corner of the side windows) where it is common for roofs to wear, possibly due to a sharp edge, though most likely just degradation due to the folding mechanism. I'm very interested (as should most other people) in how to strengthen it.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by SilverDreamRacer,Oct 8 2007, 09:28 AM
Aaaaaargh!! When anyone talks about stregthening the roof will people stop bringing up the old chestnut about the hinge points as per above - it just confuses things. There is a location (adjacent to the bottom rear corner of the side windows) where it is common for roofs to wear, possibly due to a sharp edge, though most likely just degradation due to the folding mechanism. I'm very interested (as should most other people) in how to strengthen it.
Well come up with a solution then.
There is no room to get behind the area for mending or preventative measures.
Mine has started to go on one side and it seems to be due to the original stitching and fitting which has put more stress on one side. Also perhaps the continual bending of the material when it is folded here.
Use 303 to keep the vinyl supple and hope for the best.
I am looking for a warranty claim this month.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:31 AM

There's only really one repair - just thought there may be some experience of applying a patch with contact adhesive before I try it. I think it is reasonably accessable with the roof half-retracted, though still difficult to be confident of doing a good job. However, I suspect the earlier post about making the situation worse might be correct. I'm therefore interested in how fast peoples roofs have degraded once they've noticed the tear?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by SilverDreamRacer,Oct 8 2007, 09:28 AM
first with Shop man - come up with some ideas.

second - The area Shopman has protected with his mod is a known wear area when the hood is FOLDED DOWN as it should be most of the time!

Quick Reply: Soft top roof cracking prevention