UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Softtop rip and warranty?

Old 02-05-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softtop rip and warranty?

Hi there,

My s2000 has a rip down the rear passenger side of the roof where the hinge is and I don't believe the elastic straps are doing their job properly. I have heard on several occasions that this is a warranty claim but with the car being an 05 plate I don't think I will have much of a chance?

Anyone else got experience here?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt you have any chance mate, sorry.

Wear and tear and all that.

Mike
Old 02-05-2014, 04:52 AM

I thought as much, thank you for the quick reply.

How much would a new soft-top set me back then? I think I will need another by the winter...
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only in the US was it covered. I tried the same in the UK, as have others and it is a no.

Search for Jack SMith in this forum, a guy in Wales that does new hoods for a very good price
Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up zzkamikazezz. Seems like mixed reviews from this guy? He seems nice and cheap which is a god send but obviously I would want the job right just like anyone else.

Has anyone else had any experience with Mr jack Smith?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Does the year really warrant a new roof? Might be easier to get a piece of roof material from someone and patch it.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroHicken
Thanks for the heads up zzkamikazezz. Seems like mixed reviews from this guy? He seems nice and cheap which is a god send but obviously I would want the job right just like anyone else.

Thanks,

Pete
I've only seen one substandard example and i think he put that right after a bit of encouragement. Most reviews have been very positive. I had mine done by him just over a year ago and was very pleased with the work. It cost £260 and you can send the rear window down in advance and get the job done 'while you wait'.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bully9
Originally Posted by PedroHicken' timestamp='1391613176' post='23000086

Thanks,

Pete
I've only seen one substandard example and i think he put that right after a bit of encouragement. Most reviews have been very positive. I had mine done by him just over a year ago and was very pleased with the work. It cost £260 and you can send the rear window down in advance and get the job done 'while you wait'.
One poor review and he has 'mixed' reviews wow harsh ...... Jack Smith does a superb job and at an unbeatable price, you would struggle to buy the materials and fit it yourself for that sort of money. You have zero chance of a warranty claim with HONDA in answer to your first question.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 AM

I've seen a couple of roofs he's done in the past (he does a lot of MX5's) and they're really good for the money.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 AM
BCA

Had a Jack Smith roof on my mx5, will have another on my S2k sometime in the summer. Quirky place, strange guy, great hoods in my experience. I had a Jack Smiths Mohair roof on my mx5 for two years, it was still great the day I sold the car. Would recommend. Doesn't advertise, doesn't do freebies to clubs/magazines, doesn't need to.

Quick Reply: Softtop rip and warranty?