UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soon to own a s2000!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to own a s2000!

Hi, i have been thinking of buying a s2000 for a while now and thought i would do some research and join the forum!

well I'm Richard i live in Milton Keynes and am a full time motorsport technician, i plan to buy a s2000 as soon as i sell my GD cobra that i have been building for the past year, although i would love to keep the cobra and use it running costs and insurance would just be too high ( I'm only 20 and the Cobra has a 6L ls2 v8 engine) i built to cobra just for fun and plan to use it on track a few times then sell it,

now i don't know alot about the s2000 so any useful info and advice would be great!

I'm thinking about importing a s2000 from japan( unless thats not the best thing todo??) has anyone else done this? advice please!

once i have the s2000 it will be used very much as a track car so suspension brake and engine upgrades will be a must! and may even race in the new nippon challange!

thanks!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:02 AM

GD - as in God **** or as in Gardner Douglas

Welcome to the forum, check out the S2K faq's.

The Jap imports have a bit more power - but probably more to insure etc.

Forget engine upgrades.... not much you can do here (Honda did it all for you ) - but quite a bit you can do with bracing and suspension tuning.

I can't recall the member's name here, but I saw his S2K yesterday at Donnington, and it really flew past me most laps ( despite our engines being identical )

His handling and brakes were way better than mine ( but probably the biggest factor - and he may hate me for saying so.... was the skill of the driver ).

I would get driver training ahead of car upgrades.
Funny thing is everyone thinks they are a good driver and want to improve the car...

Welcome and have fun.

Cheers
Gaspode
Old 10-14-2007, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd not bother with JDM as you don't get much more for your money and the price differential isn't that great anymore.
Also many of the JDM engines seem to let go more frequently than the UK cars. Maybe due to lack of oil bolt recall work.
The JDM power thing is not as wide as you might think. It is down to slighty higher compression and running on 100RON fuel. Drop it to UK fuel the the difference is hardly noticeable.

Don't expect the S to be a cheap car to run.
Group 20 insurance
Old 10-14-2007, 06:36 AM

I believe the difference is 7 BHP.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:39 AM

might be with 100RON in the JDM but not with 97/98RON
Old 10-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Hi thanks for the replys,

GD as in gardner douglas, do you know them?

i bet the s2000 will be cheaper than the cobra i am a fully qualified Nat a ards instructor so ill do the driver training who leads the market in suspension upgrades? I think that will be my first upgrade, i haven't even driven a s2000 yet but just from pictures the car looks like it sits far to high.

looks like i will be going for a early s2000 as i do want to make some changes to the car, will there be and disadvantages to this? has much changed in the later models?

thanks again
Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by richard_abra,Oct 14 2007, 04:21 PM
Hi thanks for the replys,

GD as in gardner douglas, do you know them?

i bet the s2000 will be cheaper than the cobra i am a fully qualified Nat a ards instructor so ill do the driver training who leads the market in suspension upgrades? I think that will be my first upgrade, i haven't even driven a s2000 yet but just from pictures the car looks like it sits far to high.

looks like i will be going for a early s2000 as i do want to make some changes to the car, will there be and disadvantages to this? has much changed in the later models?

thanks again
Yes I know GD well ;-)

I have been tempted by a Cobra on more than 1 occassion.

To be honest - not so much has changed on the S since day 1.
Some cosmetc tweaks some minor suspension changes.

OK- if you know how to drive... then you are 80% there

For handling etc, Center Gravity geo, upgrading rollbars, additional bracing and Bilstein coilovers etc ( and upgraded pads, braided hoses etc) are what you need to know.

There is a wealth of info on this site ( eg S2000 racing for a start ), the search function now works ( as of 1 week ago )

Many posts on saving weight, worthwile upgrades...

Lots of bottomless moneypit stuff too ...

Have fun
Gaspode
Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 AM

cool, wanna buy mine?

i have herd about vtec controllers etc, are they worth while? or a waste of time? my plan is to get some coilovers that way i can take advantage of some of the equipment at work like the 4 wheel alignment and corner weight machine.

also i would like to fit 4 point harness, just for safty when on the track, is this easly done?

thanks again

richard
Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 AM

well a 4 pt harness is quite a bit of work...
A CG lock gets you 80% there for circa
Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 AM

From my experince of messing with my 4 S's

1) A harness needs a rollcage for secure upper mounts
2) There is not a lot of gains to be had NA tuning (hence my supercharger)
3) Nitrons, Ohlins or Bilstien are the up there on the coilovers
4) Braces seem to work for a most people, though many find the rear ARB gives to much oversteer.
5) Weight reduction is a good start (though an OEM exhaust is not 80kgs ) Spare tyre, tool kit, are easy.

Quick Reply: Soon to own a s2000!