UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Speed Camera Detectors for the Car (Mobile/Static)

Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Camera Detectors for the Car (Mobile/Static)

I'm getting more and more tired of concentrating more on my speedo rather than the road ahead (a particular problem round my was with the state of the roads) so was thinking of investing in a speed camera detector for the car.

I'm after one that's small and discrete that can be placed, preferably in the corner of the windscreen. Would prefer one that I can hard-wire rather than be powered from a 12V outlet.

I seem to recall that back in the day it wasn't illegal to sell detectors, but it was illegal to use them, but I'm not sure how the law stands these days.

Any thought or advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try the snooper website
Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pogo are very small amd meet your requirements.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

"At the moment the government are debating making radar detectors illegal, something they have been considering since 1998 when they were proved not to be illegal under the 1949 Wireless & Telegraph Communications Act. It has taken 6 years for them to get around to discussing it in the House of Commons as part of an up and coming Road Safety Bill, and providing it passes all readings in the various Houses, and assuming that a general election does not get in the way, then it may become law later this year.

We understand that this proposal is aimed at radar detectors and laser jammers, not GPS based units. The difference is that the GPS devices are a collection of data already in the public domain. They want people to know where the cameras are, which is why they are painted yellow and locations are published on police and local council websites for all to see. The cameras are at designated dangerous sites, and this is what the GPS devices alert you to. It is the fact that radar detectors can tell you whether some cameras are active or not that is the difference the Government wants to outlaw.

At the moment these products are legal to sell, buy, own and use. Any change to this situation is currently just speculation and no specifics have been confirmed or date set. There is likely, in any case, to be a time delay - they would not be outlawed immediately, so there would be time for people to make use of their detectors before any ban is implemented. As you may have noticed these types of product are still widely available.
There has been a second reading in the House of Commons but the issue of Radar Detectors, which is just a small part of the Road Safety Bill, was only touched on and there has still been no confirmation of any change in the law as yet."

No longer illegal to use them since 1998, and that was down to needing a radio transmitter licence.

Most of Europe had banned their possession and use so leave them at home when going abroad. Even tom tom type devices must have "safety cameras" uninstalled to avoid prosecution.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the reply Rich; that was most imformative and thanks Loftust/Mike; will look on the Snooper/Pogo websites
Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 PM

I use an Android app called Camsam which you can also get for apple or windows.

http://www.camsam.com/
Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Must put TomTom in car.
Must put TomTom in car.
Must put TomTom in car.
Must put TomTom in car.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for camsam
Old 03-06-2014, 02:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Roadangel
Old 03-06-2014, 03:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a Road Angel years ago but the laser detection system was only good enough for you to know that a camera had been pointed at you and your car targeted...which meant that basically it just confirmed that you'd be getting a ticket if you were speeding rather than alerting you enough far enough in advance or with enough reaction time to slow down sufficiently.

From what I know the laser alert system, from the time you are alerted only gives you 300ms to slow down before the signal is returned to the device you've been targeted with (the speed camera gun).

I know that in the States anything is illegal to use but not to buy. For example you can buy laser jammers that turn themselves off automatically once the car has been targeted by a laser/radar gun (which sends a malfunction error to the device lasting long enough for you to slow down before you are re-targeted, so if you are pulled over the device is off and it avoids prosecution as a result.

Where do we stand in the UK with this sort of thing? It's an interesting discussion as I completely agree that between avoiding potholes and obstacles in the road as well as watching your speed for cameras its becoming stupid and even the smallest lapse in concentration can result in 3 points and a £60+ fine. A typical example of this is my mother who recently got fined for 42 in a 40 limit!

Quick Reply: Speed Camera Detectors for the Car (Mobile/Static)