UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spigot ring help

Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
I'd say that the wheels/studs/hubs have a tougher life on the road than they do on track.

If your nuts are all tightened properly the only reason one would shear is if there's something wrong with it. One M12 bolt can take more shear force than the wheel wheel will ever put through and it shares the job with 4 other ones.

Oh and the force that can shear an M12 bolt will easily deform the soft alu spiggot ring... They're just for easy of fitting the wheel and more so for cars with bolts rather than studs.

I don't use them.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised to hear that mb!

Why does everyone insist on hubcentric spacers then? Why don't we just get longer studs/bolts and stick some washers in?

I think they are needed and have personally had sheered bolts on track. Same wheels, torques on bolts etc a month later but with spigot rings and no problem at all. Could just be coincidence but from that experience and my mechanical background I won't run without them on track.

Interesting to hear other views though!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 347 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig.h
Thank you very much noodles! Ordered a set from performance alloys and stated the part numbers on the wheels so shouldnt have an issue!

Cheers!

Ps. if others dont want to run spigots thats no problem, but i choose too
Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig.h
Surprised to hear that mb!

Why does everyone insist on hubcentric spacers then? Why don't we just get longer studs/bolts and stick some washers in?

I think they are needed and have personally had sheered bolts on track. Same wheels, torques on bolts etc a month later but with spigot rings and no problem at all. Could just be coincidence but from that experience and my mechanical background I won't run without them on track.

Interesting to hear other views though!

What I forgot to mention above is that when you bolt something down, it's the friction between the 2 surfaces that keeps it in place, my bet is that you had your nuts come loose on track and that caused a stud to snap.

When you use extended studs and spacers you're moving the fixing point away from the hub face creating a bigger bending moment in the studs, by using hubcentric spacers you reduce that.

These are also the reasons you can't just stick a few washers in between.

Not telling you not to use the spigot rings, just trying to explain why they won't do much