UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sprinting/hill-climb or competing in an S2000 2017

Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bloody el mate. Glad you walked away from that, obviously apart from the broken foot. I take it the impact and brake pedal managed to do that? Doesn't look like you could do anything else to prevent that, was a really violent twitch onto the grass. Hope you heal up well dude and get yourself back out there soon.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Shame to see this happen but glad your ok and ( kind of ) walked away from it, How is your arm/ shoulder feling as that look like it flew around the cabin a bit

Get well soon bud
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. The pedals didn't move into the cabin at all so my foot was injured just by hitting something in the footwell (presumably a pedal). The left foot's a bit scraped but the impact hit the right side of that one where it's stronger so no real damage. I've got a nice bruise on my left wrist from where it flailed about but nothing else wrong with it!

Lots of people have commented on how strong the central section of the car is. I think that went a long way toward keeping me safe. The front, back and passenger side are pretty squashed but the centre didn't deform at all.
The following users liked this post:
mtunreal (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jesus, I jumped watching that when it hit the wall. At least you were relatively unscathed. As crap as it is what happened, the car can be replaced/fixed up, people not so much. Finger crossed that everything gets better soon.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Christ that looked bad mate. Glad you’re ok. Was it the grass that spun you?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jesus that went quickly, absolutely no chance of cataching that whatsoever.

Are you thinking about replacing it with another S?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Christ that looked bad mate. Glad you’re ok. Was it the grass that spun you?
Some sort of brake failure snapped it right initially onto the grass. The pedal felt all wrong and it wasn't slowing down!

Originally Posted by Little Bob
Are you thinking about replacing it with another S?
Maybe, I need to see what can be salvaged from the wreck to work out what to do next. The good thing we now know about the S on track is that it's strong in a crash! That would have been a very different outcome in a Caterham.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Gutted for you you!

Scary that. I would love to know the route cause of the brake failure.

Had you been working on the recently?

Any pictures of outside.

Really glad you're ok though (barring the foot)!

You'd of been worse off without the neck brace

Last edited by E4RTH WORM JIM; 09-26-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
You'd of been worse off without the neck brace
Damn right, I had a sore neck for a couple of days after a relatively slow dink into a barrier. That would have been nasty without a brace.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Mike a myself went back to Harewood for our 2nd go at the hill on Sun 17th Sept it was a double header meet but we only booked in for the Sun and spent Sat watching standing on every corner watching the lines the top runners use and it was a glorious day and we both wished we had booked in on the Sat as well, so it was off to bed that night looking forward to the day ahead and seeing if we could improve on our previous time's,

Well shit bags that's put paid to that we awoke to horrendous rain and off we set to the track 20mins away from Mikes parents house with wipers at full chat, but hey whats this the closer we got the less the rain fell until a couple of miles away and it was as dry as a bone, so we unpack get the cars ready and wait for sign on etc but alas it didn't last and you could see the rain approaching from across the valley and it duly arrived just before first practice so it was quite a hairy and slow first run and with a little knowledge gain i improved by 4 secs on my 2nd run, then came the announcement that they intend to get the first timed run in before dinner just as the rain stopped, so it was about an hour before we headed down to the start and arrived at a fairly dry track but slightly damp in place's, this run i manged to do a PB but only by 4 tenths and still not under the 70 sec's ah well there's two runs after dinner to put that right and at this point i was leading Mike after he had a hairy moment coming off the esse's ,

Wrong while having a burger the heavens opened again but it only lasted about 40 mins and stopped just as lunch finished so the 2nd timed run was on a wet but drying track i was slower than T1 but Mike improved his time and beat me damn and blast or words to that effect, we had spent the day messing with set up and were both just saying how much we were enjoying the day and looking forward to the last run but oh no mother nature decided we were going sailing on T3 and it lashed it down so much that half the competitors packed up and went home even Ricardo who had trekked over to watch us had had enough and left like a drowned rat, Me and Mike looked at each and laughed out loud when they announced if anyone wanted a 3rd run to make they're way to the start haha we were straight in our cars and raring to go as we headed down the rain sort of stopped but left the track very wet but what a buzz, absolutely loved it not fast but the most fun i have ever had on a sprint run and then to watch Mike come drifting over the finish was a perfect end to a cracking day and we ended up 5th and 7th out of 21 in our class so came away vert happy,

Next up is our last two sprints of the year on the 7th and 8th at Curborough,

wet fun run

only dry run of the day but unsure were the grip was after the wet morning you can see the tyre tacks on the grass in various places where a lot of folk overcooked it in the morning

The following users liked this post:
mtunreal (09-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Sprinting/hill-climb or competing in an S2000 2017