UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sprinting/hill-climb or competing in an S2000 2017

Old 09-06-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The last round this year is at Rockingham on the 15th Oct there is a show on the same day which is Performance Vauxhall,

Yeah is sure is a 240z awesome car the driver is a guy called Steve Kiddell sound guy got chatting to him on the Saturday he didnt do the Sunday

Forgot to mention Guy Martin entered the event in the Paceward Insurance Evo as the normal driver Phill Reed was away, Guy put in some good times
Old 09-06-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

So Round 7 Sunday

So Sunday came not sure why but the first session was at 12 pm ( we normally start around 9am ) so we didnt have to rush down to the track in the morning. The ECP brembo pads we put in for the last 2 sessions on the Saturday only lasted those 2 session we had pick up some more from Andrew Page cheap things but its better than running on the brembo backing plates we didnt think these were going to last the 4 sessions on sunday, so i went off to Stockton on tees as this was the next nearest place that had a set in stock so i went and got those while the lads went to the track to get the car out for a public grid walk. There is another entrant into Clubman+ for the round another evo so we take it we are going to come behind that in todays round

i got back the car was still out on the grid so i went up there to snap a few picture and see what was going on, anyway that got done and back to the pits check tyre pressures and fluids get the driver in and off for the first session. all goes well keeping it on the tarmac hes sliding about a bit comming from the hairpin at the start of the pit straight so give him the signal to come in next lap quick tyre pressure check take out a few clicks on the rear dampers see how that goes, back out and puts a few laps in session is over not to bad.

second session we go out again no problems driver puts a few laps in comes in the pits asks for the rear dampers to be clicked back up so that was done and out he goes, im on the pit wall hear the car comming so look up the straight see him come round the hair pin and he lost it went left and right snapped loads of smoke from the tyres and went backward towards the wall, teams on the pit wall shouted shit, we couldnt see the car now so imagined he had binned it into the wall but we hear the car rev lights up the rear tyres and gave us a peel out from the pit entrance where he ended up sideways, as he comes past the pit wall everyone cheering and giving him an applause he saved it and didnt hit anything session over and back to the pits car is ok tyres not so much we are getting close to the limit on the tyres.

session 3 put in some ok time not getting down to the times we done on Sat, this session went ok no mishaps

same with session 4 got some times in but not as good as the Saturday i think the tyres have gone over the edge now and the chepest pads lasted longer than the brembo which is supprising, that is the end of the weekend packed you and headed back a soon as we could.

Next outing is Rockingham on the 15 Oct so new tyres check the Geo and few little tweeks to end the season. I will update on how we get on.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Just a quick update on our first event at Harewood Hillclimb, Myself and Mike headed over the night before and stopped at his parents house a few miles drive from Harewood so we could get there bright and early the next morning, there was a a blip in proceedings 5 days before when we were told by the events secretary that the club we were members of weren't and invited club to the hillclimb so our enrties were void, After a quick check around on the web we found we needed to be a member of an affiliated club to the association of north west car clubs and luckily the local rally club which we attend on the odd occasion were, so within an hour we were now members of the Ecurie Royal Oak,

Back the day and to say i was nervous was an understatement but the operation was very slick and as newbies we were well looked after, our group 1B 1400 to 2000 was well represented with 24 assorted cars, there were two other S2000's competing on the day but in classic marque's and both drivers gave us good advise about being steady and and don't over try on our first day and we should except to aim for low 72's, these two were completing the course in 66 but both had a lot of experience,

Well my first run didn't quite go to plan i mustn't have quite selected first gear and when i launched off the line the dammed thing banged out of gear that hard i thought at first i had trashed the box or diff till a qick fumble about with the gear stick found 2nd and away we went an a time of 74.5 Mike was considerably quicker at just below 70, at the end of the day i had got it down to 70.71 and Mike a 69 which netted us 8th and 11th out of 23 as one had dropped out the top 7 all being FWD of the 205 and clio guise and being won by a Toyota Starlet 1400T, so i came away pleased to had done a fairly decent time on my first go at the hill, so much so the we have booked in for our 2nd attempt on Sun the 17th Sept,

It was also great to see bikes and sidecars, we were lucky as it is they're only visit in the season, plus we also got the change to have a good look around a mint GT100 which belonged to one of the MSA officials,

A few pics of the day,

Last edited by Daytona-Dave; 09-10-2017 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mtunreal (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nervous is an understatement. What a pleasure to pedal though, great venue. I'm really chuffed with the times me and Ray set, especially for our debut at Harewood. Looking forward to chipping away at the times and perfecting the car over the coming years. Bring on Sunday.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 4 S2000s at Goodwood tomorrow in the Classic Marques class including Phil Ludbrook and me. Say hello if you're there!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:00 AM

So after a PB of 94.91s in T1 (2nd fastest road car at the event I think) it all went wrong in the improver run:

Brake failure at the fastest part of the circuit spun me into the tyre wall at over 130. I broke my foot in the accident, the car is totalled. I haven't seen the recovered wreckage yet so next steps will be to see what can be salvaged and work out what to do next.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Wow, that really snapped on you. Glad you're not too badly injured, that could have been nasty. Just a caliper on one side giving no braking power?

Last edited by chrispayze; 09-24-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Bloody hell Tim that's big one,
Old 09-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Jesus Tim, that is a big un, glad you managed to hobble away, coulda been worse at that speed

gutted about your car fella
Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 PM

Whoa that scared me just watching it, must've shook you up sitting in that car!

Glad you managed to get out alright, that could've ended a lot worse

Quick Reply: Sprinting/hill-climb or competing in an S2000 2017