UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sprinting/hill-climb or competing in an S2000 2018

Old 08-11-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Great that someone got the photos though!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Scammonden Dam Sat 18th Aug,

The day started out OK not to early a start, lovely morning everything packed and on our way up to the dam, this didn't last too long though as half way there it started to rain and the spray on the motorway was horrendous plus we had both set out on semi slicks as it had being given as nice weather all day, luckily it stopped just before we got to the venue, nice early arrival or so we thought till we headed down the single track lane to the dam and we arrived just as the cows were being brought in for milking and i twatty shit arse decided he was going to spend the morning eating the grass verge while she held us up less than 100 yrds from where we needed to be, anyway beack to the day we set up and then walked the track, man was it slippy so much so the incline on the hill made it difficult to stand up in places, this is not good,

Drivers briefing arrives and we were informed that it would be 2 practice runs and ten timed runs and all count , then everyone just chilled out for an hour by this time the track had dried significantly and of we went, now this has being my boggy track with me not getting to grips with it at all and being nearly 2sec's slower than Mike on a short 27.12sec climb (well for Mike i was like 28.88 last time there) my goal being to drop into the high 27's first run was pretty good at 28.72 and the next a tad faster, then on to the timed runs and a 28.18 this was a PB and i was chuffed already at this point then the last run before dinner and i came up at 28.02 i was so close to my goal i was buzzing, by this time Mike was already down into the mid 27's then we all stopped for dinner,

Like what seemed like 5 mins (although it was over an hour) we were lined up again and off i went then halfway up the hill on what is a very tight twisty and steep climb for some up know reason i started scratching an itch on my nose WTF get on with it man, this small lapse in concentration cost me just over a tenth and i was back up to 28.14 while Mike set a blistering time of 27.28 just shy of his record, then it happen'd on my next run i did a 27.72 yeah i could go home a happy chappy the next run i was a tad slower and put in a 28 dead maybe i had reached my limit Mike was also slower so could be the track, but my next run proved different and i was back down to 27.68 the next run a tad faster, Mike had a spin and a slow time , i again went faster on my next run now down to 27.52, i was really getting a feel for it now and had conquered my fear of the hill, my next run bore this out and i put in a 27.22 shit this was faster than Mikes time i parked up and run to the clock just in time to catch Mike cross the beam at 27.31 oh god now it's all down to the last run of the day,

We headed down to the start for one last run a nervous wreck, i was running through the course in my mind wondering if i could actually take the win , i was first to go the light which seemed to take forever finally changed to green, steady don't rush it, then revs up clutch out and away first bend feels ok wheels scrambling for grip on the broken surface and then along the short flat and into the uphill right hand hairpin which is so tight you get wheel lift mid corner the revs rise and the back steps out slightly, a slight lift and the engine bogs for what seems like an age then rise's again then the next very steep left hand hairpin again the car suffering wheel lift the diff unlocks and the revs rise this time i keep my foot in and the car scrabbles for grip then onto a fairly tight right where at other meetings here i give a big pussy lift this time just a slight lift then back on it for the long right and flat to the boards to the finish, thinking i had blown it on the first hairpin i rolled up the the timing clock thinking i'll bet Mike nails it, then to my surprise i had done my fastest time of the day with a 27.19 only 7 100ths off the record, now it was down to Mike, i again just had enough time to park and get within sight of the clock which stopped it at 27.50 , shit bags i had won haha i couldn't believe it whoop whoop, a great day with great mates Mike , Lee and G plus Mikes Dad who is a great supporter of us all,

next up Aintree on the 1st then three sisters the next day,

My fastest run of the day

Last edited by Daytona-Dave; 08-21-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Well done on beating the little so and so at last!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome pedal Ray and wicked time. Its definitely a tough track to get to grips with, mentally and physically. Looking forward to Aintree, I get the feeling its going to be another close fight to the finish. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by mtunreal
Awesome pedal Ray and wicked time. Its definitely a tough track to get to grips with, mentally and physically. Looking forward to Aintree, I get the feeling its going to be another close fight to the finish. Should be a lot of fun.
Cheers Mike but i don't think i'll trouble you too much at Aintree you are over 2sec faster normally, plus it's fast and i don't like fast especially with the girt big jumps down the side of the track
Old 09-03-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Cheers Mike but i don't think i'll trouble you too much at Aintree you are over 2sec faster normally, plus it's fast and i don't like fast especially with the girt big jumps down the side of the track
Haha well reading the above what a load of bollox that turned out to be, great driving dude! :-D

for those who weren't at Aintree racecourse this weekend Daytona Dave finished 1st yet again!!!
So looks like he's definitely found his groove lately
1st - Daytona Dave 52.19 sec
2nd - Birthday Boy Rowe 52.39 sec
3rd Mr Munternreal 52.76
4th - ME!!!!!! 54.34 hours
5th 6th 7th some old dudes in mx5's

Absolute awesome day though - my first time there as a competitor; and although I brought up the rear by 1.5 secs I did improve by over 2 seconds from the first practise session so can't wait to return next year to get properly competitive.

Also worth noting was EX S2000 owner Alex GJ's performance in his EVO, taking a 2nd in class DESPITE HAVING THE JDM LIMITER!!!!!
Awesome effort and would've been 1st if not for that!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM

Aintree 1-9-18

This again was one of those tracks that i went slower on the 2nd time i visited them Scam being the other,

Last time we were here i was over 2sec slower than mike and over 2 half sec slower than Martin Rowe another S2000 competitor from my first trip there, this time we were all there together again plus LJ joined us so i was looking at either 3rd or 4th hopefully keeping the MX5's behind us, my PB from the first event was 54.45 so i was hoping to at least get into the 53's

First practice run i managed a 54.04 so beat my PB now to try and get into the 53's 2nd practice and wow 52.70 and fastest in the group but alas it was only practice so i would need to repeat this in the timed runs to make it an official PB, the first timed run netted me a 52.27 i still couldn't believe it and was expecting Mike and Matt to blow me away then my 2nd timed run came back at 52.19 just 15ths of the record and my fastest 64ft launch time of 2.26 sec i had to wait for the others to complete there runs but somehow i was still fastest, this wasn't in the script at the start of the day and was very welcome so for now i was a happy bunny, then we came to timed run 3 4 and 5 and each time i went a little slower and each time thought i was going to get piped at the post but luck was on my side and i held onto the lead time and came away 1st in class, phew that was a nerve racking fun day,

Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Just caught up on the reading - I think I have missed the last month! Hat's off to you chaps - it looks like a blast, the set up on the S2000 make it look like they are really planted!

Would love to get some more info on the tyres and the video set up you guys are using!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k
Just caught up on the reading - I think I have missed the last month! Hat's off to you chaps - it looks like a blast, the set up on the S2000 make it look like they are really planted!

Would love to get some more info on the tyres and the video set up you guys are using!
Tyres are a bit of a sore point at the moment as we were supposed to be running Extreme the problem was they only made the fronts with a promise to make the rears by the beginning of the season these are a tyre that a lot of hill climb and sprint records are falling to, but in the end the rears never got made so Mike opted to run the extreme up front and Ar1 in the rear both being a very hard side wall and an 80 tread wear and both blue book 1b tyres, i choose to try R888's but after a few rounds i couldn't get on with them as i prefer a softer side wall so rather than destroy a good set of tyres i choose to go back the the 16" yoko A052 from last year but with the engine worries i also put my 4.4 diff back in to keep the revs down and spent the next few rounds short shifting and going slower at all the tracks i had done earlier in the year, this soon got very boring so decided that as i can't hear the nosie with my helmet on then sod it if she blows then i can always say i never heard owt ,
After i had decided this and getting my arse kicked at Scam i bought a new set of yoko A052 but this time in 17s 225 up front and 255 in the rear and stuck them on the OZ rims i had bought from Si yonks ago, the first test was Loton but still with the 4.4 i also stuck the 10k springs back in to compensate for the soft side walls where i beat my PB by over 2 sec, next up was Scam and i set a PB over 1.5 sec faster, then it was on to Aintree i also set a PB here over 2 secs faster. the next day it was three sisters for the first time were i got thrashed by Martin Rowe in an other S2000 by over 3 sec Mike also beat me but by just over half sec instead of the usual 2 sec ,
camera is a garmin virb up frot and a cheap but trusty Mobius on the wind break

The following users liked this post:
nomadicS2k (09-12-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:20 AM

Three Sisters 2-9-18

Well this ended up a tuff one, it was mine and Mikes first visit to the venue and we were up against Matt Rowe in another S2000 who had done the circuit many times and a few MX5's that had also being here before, Matt was usually in around the 84's mark and on my first run i did an 86 so thought ooh not to bad, a few runs and i'll hopefully be down to the 84's, shit that's that outta the window Matt came staright back with an 83 then continued to whittle it down to 81.33 breaking the record at least 3 times on his way i ended up peaking at 84.44 over 3 secs slower so had my arse handed to me on a plate , Mike also beat me but i held off the MX5's to grab 3 rd in class phew, man it was a tuff tuff day but can't wait to get back there next year,

Next up a double header at Anglesey on the 6th and 7th Oct,,

Gear shit cock ups this is how quite a few of my runs ended up haha,

Last edited by Daytona-Dave; 09-07-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Sprinting/hill-climb or competing in an S2000 2018