UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Starter Motor Grind On Cold Mornings

Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000_f20
Thanks engifineer,

Great clarification
Was Honda aware of this starter issue? I couldn't locate a TSB or anything for it?
Would that mean buying a new starter motor will eventually re-occur?
I am not sure if Honda knows, and if they tend to start going when mine did they would likely just chalk it up to wear items, although like I said, even 100k is a bit short for a good starter. But to your point, it would be nice if they knew and made changes at least to the replacement parts. But if the replacement is anything like mine, it will last me to about 250k so maybe I wont care
Old 10-23-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Put the battery on charge over night and see if the issue still exists in the morning.
If not,a new starter is needed
if ok a better quality battery with better amperage upgrade
or if anal about it replace all earths and clean contact areas new starter, battery and relays
Old 10-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Put the battery on charge over night and see if the issue still exists in the morning.
or if anal about it replace all earths and clean contact areas new starter, battery and relays
No, if that fixes it, you were running a bad battery to begin with. If the battery does not have enough current capacity to engage the solenoid, it wont spin a cold motor either. The only reason a new battery may have "fixed" a starter issue for you was more likely that the terminals were dirty to begin with and the initial engagement popped whatever small trace of conductivity that was left, so when you changed the battery ,you inadvertently fixed that issue.

You are most likely confusing "grinding" with a rapid clicking. A rapid click and no starter spin is usually due to a low battery that can barely power the relay, which causes a relay to chatter quickly. That is not grinding. The grinding noise is when the starter spins fine, but the teeth are not fully engaged. This is many times due to a faulty solenoid, starter out of alignment (aka loose, etc). It can also be missing teeth on the flywheel, but normally in that case, it will continue to do it unless you move the flywheel. And since this is a very common issue with S2000's it is more known to be just a starter that is gummed up and is not engaging properly.

Again, if the battery can spin the motor over once it does engage, then the grind is not due to the battery.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...ttery-1147951/
Went for the 5000 430 Amp <its the 10 amps that makes up for that tiredness>
Old 10-23-2018, 01:18 PM

Out of fairness, since my experience comes only from a background in electrical engineering and wrenching on cars since I was 6, I passed this along to the owner of the shop I started helping out in when I was 6 (aka my fathers shop), who has been a professional mechanic and shop owner for about 55 years now. He has never once seen an undersized battery cause this and thought that was quite funny

In some scenarios, you may see what they call starter "drag" where it kind of grinds and kind of spins slowly and that can be an electrical supply issue. But as I understand the post here (OP can clarify) it will mechanically grind sometimes, but then on a second try spins the motor up normally (no slow cranking). If that is the case, then it is not because you are running a small battery. And like I said, above what it takes to spin the starter, no larger CCA rated battery will do anything. Running a higher CCA rating does not "push" more current through the same system. It only ALLOWS a higher current draw if a LOWER resistance circuit is attached. And since the largest draw, by far, is the cranking of the motor, it cant do a fine job of that yet not provide enough current to engage the starter.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:28 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...ttery-1147951/
Went for the 5000 430 Amp <its the 10 amps that makes up for that tiredness>
So if that actually helped here is why:

When a starter mechanically gets gummed uplworn out, etc and starts to bind, like any motor it will draw more current from the system.Even if you provide more current (assuming the issue is bad enough to actually overcome what the stock battery can provide) and it works, this is a bad thing. Why? because the wiring is designed for the amount of current the system is designed to operate on. So, you are effectively just producing more heat which will deteriorate the insulation, wiring, etc even faster. So you made a bad bandaid at best, assuming that actually had anything to do with fixing your starter issue to begin with.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Cheers guys, even if could try and charge my battery I wouldn't be able too.
Can't leave the car unprotected without an alarm and dont have a car battery charger either.
Ive never had any battery issues before so never really needed one.

Thanks engifineer, you definitely know your stuff.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My MY2000 (owned for years) has been making this sound for 5+ years. I've had new batteries in that time, and it doesn't change. My understanding is it has to do with the starter motor disengaging after it spins the motor. My car starts fine so I've just learned to ignore the sound. It's annoying, but I'm not convinced it is all that harmful as I hear it every other day or so.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:50 PM

If the problem does not exist<with full charged battery> in the morning <with The starter engaging problem with the starter motor as OP states>with a fully charged battery its a starter motor issue.
The rapid clicking I had was only my dentures,also excuse my English comprehension as I am from England
Old 10-23-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by s2000_f20
Cheers guys, even if could try and charge my battery I wouldn't be able too.
Can't leave the car unprotected without an alarm and dont have a car battery charger either.
Ive never had any battery issues before so never really needed one.

Thanks engifineer, you definitely know your stuff.
No battery on a car,it will be there in the morning <its a good anti theft>buy a charger

Quick Reply: Starter Motor Grind On Cold Mornings