UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Starter Motor Grind On Cold Mornings

Old 10-23-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

It's definitely not a battery issue and no need to get a new starter either just have it serviced.
Here is a nice diy https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...luded-1185300/
Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

My first option would be to spray loads of WD40 in the pre-engagement assembly and check the connections to the solenoid, I've had batteries in various states of life and misuse and as yet never had the problem as described. If the WD40 gives you a quick fix then strip it clean it and put it back, either that or replace the starter when it eventually fails. A quick search shows they are cheap enough refurbed to not warrant a breaker part.

Last edited by richmc; 10-23-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

As others have said, it's not the battery.

I experienced this on a my old car, everything getting super hot on track days contributed to it, but it was mostly a "cold mornings" problem.

I had my starter motor replaced a couple of times with used items (beware the knock sensor as you are likely to knock it out when trying to get the rusty bolts of the starter motor undone) and that fixed it. unclefester has refurbished a couple of these which also fixes the problem. See here for lots of lovely pics:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...-motor-904148/

It's really nothing to worry abut in the grand scheme of things, other than being a little embarrassing.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

In the old days, we were lucky to get 40K out of Prince of Darkness starter motor, before the Bendix drive gunked up and it made retard-noises.

Got quite used to pulling them apart, cutting back the comms insulators, polishing the copper with emery paper and fitting new brushes plus a clean & re-grease.

There usually a bugger to get to with inline engines.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
In the old days, we were lucky to get 40K out of Prince of Darkness starter motor, before the Bendix drive gunked up and it made retard-noises.

Got quite used to pulling them apart, cutting back the comms insulators, polishing the copper with emery paper and fitting new brushes plus a clean & re-grease.

There usually a bugger to get to with inline engines.
No problem on my old Mk2 Cortina, was a bi annual ritual. I was lucky enough to be in a job where I could "borrow" loads of isopropyl alcohol and give it a good soaking. No problem getting to it as you could open the bonnet and virtually get in with the engine.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I forgot to mention - since Hondas use a Bosch-type pre-engaging solenoid, it is probably that which most requires cleaning. Or you need in check your ring (!) and pinion for damaged teeth.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Mine is still quiet 6 years later although i am sure i'm beginning to hear the tell tale screech returning. I'll just add it to the list as it seems i'm destined to be buried before i ever sell the damned car.
The following users liked this post:
Coaks7 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem with my MY07. It would only grind on really cold mornings but as the years went on it started to then grind on mild mornings, it didn't really bother me and I ignored it for several years but last year I decided to replace the starter motor. I wasn't prepared to pay the £400 for the Honda unit so I purchased a Borg & Beck start motor off ebay for £150 and got my Honda dealer to fit it for me, the mechanic said it was pretty much identical to the Honda one. That was a year ago and it has worked perfectly since.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So to ask, what have people paid for the new starter? and also the labour cost of removing old/fitting new one? as in having the entire job done by an auto-electrical garage.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I managed to get mine replaced. My car still had the original Honda denso unit.
I looked at the DIY guides on replacing it, and it didnt look that bad. As the weather is really cold and it gets dark early now I thought i would get a garage do it for me.

I luckily sourced one on Ebay and took a punt, brand new Blueprint version of the starter motor at £35 delivered.

I got my usual garage to install it for me. They charged £85.
He gave me alittle discount as I have used him quite alot in the past for many big jobs on my other cars.
But typical prices would be around £100 to £135 labour charge.

It was punt that paid off luckily.
Grinding is now eliminated

Typical prices for other starter motors are around £150 to £250 ish.
GTman above reported he bought a Borg and Beck starter motor which worked well.

They seem reasonably priced
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starter-M...EetW:rk:3:pf:0

So to ask, what have people paid for the new starter? and also the labour cost of removing old/fitting new one? as in having the entire job done by an auto-electrical garage.
Is your grinding bad?

Last edited by s2000_f20; 11-26-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Starter Motor Grind On Cold Mornings