UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stelvio, Monza F1, Switzerland & Italy

Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J_D,Oct 8 2007, 11:01 AM
That looks fantastic, thinking of driving to the south of france in June ,maybe further if the wife will let me, any route tips for a 1st time abroad in the s?
'Cause I wanted to do the Stevio, my route was down through Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany and Austria into Italy - all free motorways (except passes required for Austria & Switzerland). My route back was through France via Beaune to collect wine. I could have been going through some very picturesque areas on the way back but it was fog/mist mostly, down to 50 metres at times. Anywhere in the Austrian/Italian/Swiss/French Alps is well worth travelling through.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I am planning a similar trip next year. Probably late spring/early summer time.

The Mrs has been convinced to come along and put up with 2 weeks of VTEC! She can be my camera girl when it is not mounted on the windscreen.

The route I have planned is: Tunnel or ferry to Calais, south through Champagne and on past Lyon, then east to Nice and Monte Carlo, into Italy and follow the coast across to the Bernadino pass, then inland to Maranello and north to Switzerland via Lake Garda then through the Stelvio Pass to Davos, Lichtenstein, The Ring, Spa and finally back to Derby for a proper cup of tea!

I'd be keen to hear people's thougts on the route, having never driven south of Normandy before!

Cheers. Guy.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFTER MONZA IT WAS SWITZERLAND, THEN BACK TO ITALY AND HOME

Heading for Switzerland (and a good bath after the DIRE campsite), I decided to go via the Gottard Pass. I must say that I agree with Richard Hammond on Top Gear last week that you have to go a long way to beat the roads and scenery in Switzerland.

Stelvio was brilliant but hard work with all those 'sharp' hairpins. The Gottard Pass is fantastic with sweeping bends and easier hairpin bends. If you can, find the 'old road' rather than taking the obvious one. I only found out when I stopped to take pics, some Germans told me that's the original and is better. Later on, saw three Ferrari's enjoying themselves on the old road and wish I had doubled back - oh well next time! When you come off the Gottard Pass, turn left at Realp towards Gletsch and the Furkapass - yes that's what it's called - then at Gletsch turn right to Innertkirchen and the Grimsel Pass. The Gottard, Furka and Grimsel passes were the best roads that I drove.

After a week in Wengen (no cars allowed) I set off back into Italy, collected 3 cases of wine, a week on the beach and then set off towards Sorrento. I have found where the Italian car and bike racers learn their trade, round the Rome GRA it's like a race track with cars and bikes everywhere - no rules! I hope Donnington is more civilised.

Anyway, another road to drive if you can is the Amalfi drive from Sorrento to Amalfi, coastal cliff road with stunning scenery. I think this is the original 'Italian Job' road.

On the way home through France, decided to go up the Alpe D'huez - those who follow the Tour de France will know this one, it is one road up and down but still worth a drive.

Collected more wine in Beaune - you can get five cases of wine in the boot with a small case in the well. As I did not have a passenger, the front seat held all the other stuff piled up to window height.

Comments on the trip:

Roads and Scenery fantastic anywhere in the Alps
Car was perfect - no problems
Italian drivers the worst.
Think I was only caught on one camera in France
SatNav doesn't like mountain passes or snow - kept telling me to turn right in 50 metres on lefthand hairpins! BUT invaluable for this trip.
Strange sight of prostitutes standing in the middle of nowhere offering their wares.
Best road sign - see below.

That's all folks - off to Donnington for the track day - should be easier than driving in Italy.

Alan
Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Great photos... brings back memories of summer 2005 and 2006.

Familar views...

Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 AM

Great landscapes...glad you enjoyed the trip!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks bloody great Alan!!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome trip...you lucky lucky boy!!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=le sau,Oct 8 2007, 11:43 AM] Saw the Top Gear programme last night on the best driving road which included the Stelvio Pass and I would agree it's BRILLIANT.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:19 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to go.....

Looks fab !

Bharat
Old 10-21-2007, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by le sau,Oct 8 2007, 03:50 PM
If anyone is thinking of going to Monza for an Italian F1, don't use the Monza campsite - it is DIRE!! unless you have the luxury of a fully fitted campervan.
No different to Silverstone IYAM - I make a point of not showering

Just bought ou tickets for next year