UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Struggling to find insurance

Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

@nath640 do you know (did you ask) why Adrian Flux couldn't give you a quote? I'm mid thirties with nine years NCB and had quotes ranging from £350 to around £4,000 so it may be just a case of finding exactly the right insurer for you. Of course, when it comes up to renewals in a years time you'll be a captive audience.

Remember to play around with the voluntary excess to take some of the sting out - if you can afford it.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Surely the bottom line is, if you can't afford the insurance, then you can't afford the car?
I would disagree with you. Insurance is an annual payment and I am pretty sure no one would entertain the thousands quoted regardless if they could afford it.

I was 25 when I got my S2000 and insurance was around £450 FC per year. 5years later I don’t entertain anything above £220.. to the point the car remained off the road, uninsured for 3 weeks last year until Adrian Flux provided a suitable quote.

As mentioned above, check out MoneySavingExpert some really useful information for all things money!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Insurance is a bet. The insurance company is betting you're going to wreck the car and cost them thousands. Pay cash for the car and self-insure any damage to it -- just buy liability insurance. If you can't afford to pay cash for the car it doesn't seem you can insure it to the finance company's satisfaction.

Just buying liability insurance is you betting you will not wreck the car.

-- Chuck
Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Insurance is a bet. The insurance company is betting you're going to wreck the car and cost them thousands. Pay cash for the car and self-insure any damage to it -- just buy liability insurance. If you can't afford to pay cash for the car it doesn't seem you can insure it to the finance company's satisfaction.

Just buying liability insurance is you betting you will not wreck the car.

-- Chuck
Doesn't quite work like that in the UK, there is very little difference between first and third party insurance, it's mostly based on what damage you can do with the car, not damage you can do to the car, in a lot of cases insurance companies will do their best not to pay you what the car is worth.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have over nine of them, but we are not telling you what they are.
20+ with one insurer...
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nath640
I am 21 with 3 NCB and plan on purchasing a S2k next month so I wanted to estimate how much insurance would be but on 2004 models with about 50k on the clock. My quotes are ridiculous! Adrian Flux couldn't give me a quote, Admiral wanted £4700! And on the comparison sites I can't get below £3000!
AVIVA worked out cheap for me..

TOP TIP: you will get a larger (upto 20%) discount if you have another policy with them...life insurance was the route I took initially - £7 per month....
Old 04-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had the OP's budget:
  • Buy the S2k you want
  • SORN the S2k and put it on axle-stands in off-road storage WITHOUT insurance
  • Buy an MX5 for £1.5k
  • Insure the MX5 for < £1k
  • Wait until the insurance on the S2k falls into your insurance price comfort zone whilst gaining experience with MX5

My 1st year with a brand new S2k was about £1100 and the cheapest has been £300.

£3k is way too much for insurance unless you have money to burn. You could have 4 insured trackdays in a Caterham for that, or live like a king in Shanghai for a month.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevo071077
If I had the OP's budget:
  • Buy the S2k you want
  • SORN the S2k and put it on axle-stands in off-road storage WITHOUT insurance
  • Buy an MX5 for £1.5k
  • Insure the MX5 for < £1k
  • Wait until the insurance on the S2k falls into your insurance price comfort zone whilst gaining experience with MX5

My 1st year with a brand new S2k was about £1100 and the cheapest has been £300.

£3k is way too much for insurance unless you have money to burn. You could have 4 insured trackdays in a Caterham for that, or live like a king in Shanghai for a month.
One problem, even if it's SORN'ed it must still have insurance, catch 22. Before you ask, it's in case it catches fire and burns down that "off road storage", or such like.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

One problem, even if it's SORN'ed it must still have insurance, catch 22. Before you ask, it's in case it catches fire and burns down that "off road storage", or such like.
I discovered this only recently when someone got on another forum got caught out, cost him money.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Not correct.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
The following users liked this post:
Stevo071077 (04-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Struggling to find insurance