UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sub £100 Stereo?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So these allow you to change tracks vis bluetooth on your phone, using the dash controls?

Im getting sick of plugging my phone in all the time...
Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep stream music and have calls all via Bluetooth or you can plug in via the USB. With the autoleads adapter you can use the dash controls to skip tracks, mute, vol up down etc
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by will-w
Got exactly the same set up as you've just ordered, going to be fitting tonight!

Just trying to work out where I should run the mic cable?
I thought about sitting the mic next to one of the proximity sensors of the alarm, next to the A pillar but don't know how I'm going to get the cable down to the rear of the head unit without causing massive grief..

Will update once I've given it a go tonight.

Will
The one on the 86 is on top of the steering column shroud, pointing straight at yer gob. You'll see it if you google pictures.

It's the best, clearest solution I've ever come across in any car and the Hachiroku's fairly noisy up top; pillar ones only transmit car noise and on an S2000, all you'll hear is wind.

Even with the Leg End's noise-cancelling software (or because of it!) I find I sometimes end up talking to the map light when driving.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 AM

Ok, so finally got round to installing this last night!

First things first: The Alpine UTE-72BT is 3-4mm narrower than the stock head unit! You will need to pad out one side of the HU (between the mounting bracket and the HU itself) to ensure that the brackets go over the locating pins in the dash and can screw in OK.
Make sure you use something non-flammable. I used the empty shell of a 4-core electrical cable cut into two 1" lengths (I had this to hand as I had been installing a new light over the weekend and hadn't tidied up after).
You will not need the traditional cage that comes with the HU.

MIC install (do this next): I found the best (read: neatest looking) place to install the external MIC was at the bottom of the A pilar, next to the ultrasonic sensors of the stock alarm.
To do this remove the A pilar shroud. Open the torch app on your phone and lay (face down, light up) in the drivers footwell, roughly below the throttle peddle.
Attach the 2.5mm MIC jack to something long and thin, looking through the window poke this down the panel gap towards the light. After a couple of attempts you will feel it come through.
Pull the cable down and route to the rear of the radio binnacle, ensure there is some slack left at the MIC end and neatly wrap up the rest behind the radio.

Next: There is far too much cable to fit behind the HU.
The wiring connector blocks, control unit and harness relay will just about squeeze into the space under the HU and behind the SRS unit. This doesn't make much sense until you've got the stock radio out and can see the hole.
If you have small hands then you might be able to put them into the rear of the radio binnacle by entering through the drivers footwell. From here you can sort of manipulate the cables to ensure that they don't get caught between the HU and rear of the binnacle.

Connecting up the cables is actually really easy. You'll notice that there is nowhere to connect the "Mute" cable on the Autoleads loom. I still don't know where this goes now (and no- the Mute button doesn't work).
Make sure you follow the connection instructions carefully

You'll find it best to remove the face of the HU when you refit the S2000 binnacle door.
Once the door is back on, install the shroud supplied with the HU (there is a gap otherwise) and reattach the HU face.

Turn on and enjoy!

It's a really funky little HU, I am really quite surprised.
Pair your phone to the HU and start playing some music. Turn the ignition off (without stopping the music) - you will see the app closes. When you turn the ignition on again the HU automatically connects to your phone, opens the music app and starts playing the track where you left off. I was like a little kid when I stumbled across this!

Hope that helps

Will
Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You can get an external BT unit, audio control adapter, 3 RCA and all the other alpine gubbins in there if you're careful - it's not fun though
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 AM

Thanks for that Will - some good pointers. Waiting on the Autoleads then may have a crack at the weekend if it ever stops raining
Old 02-01-2014, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by will-w
Connecting up the cables is actually really easy. You'll notice that there is nowhere to connect the "Mute" cable on the Autoleads loom. I still don't know where this goes now (and no- the Mute button doesn't work).
Looking in the HU manual and at the connectors it would seem this HU (Alpine UTE-72BT) does not have a mute function or wire......
Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So whilst watching england get Thrashed by the french @ rugby...

I've just ordered the JVC 250, the autoleads adapter and the shallowest USB stick I could find.

The cheapest Dual USB one was over 40quid more - just not worth it ;-)

should all be with me by the end of the week ;-)

Thanks all.

Simes.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM

Fitted this morning, dead easy. Hardest part was stuffing all the bits behind. Alpine is a bit narrower but you can easily bend the bracket so it fits without the need for packing it out. Dash controls all work bar mute as the unit doesn't have it.

Ran the mic out the back, cable tied to wiring above the pedals, ran up the door and place the mic in bit between dash and a pillar.

Nifty little unit, only used it a little but very pleased, and sound quality even with stock speakers is much better
Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 AM

Halfords do a great one Pure Highway 260i DAB USB Bluetooth etc etc all the bells and whistles. There is one on ebay atm I believe with the S2k harness I was looking at!

Quick Reply: Sub £100 Stereo?