UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharging vs Turbocharging

Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging vs Turbocharging

Hi all,

Would greatly appreciate some advice

My car will be coming off the road when the tax runs out at the end of next month for the winter and I'm going to spend the winter overhauling a few things and HOPEFULLY adding some form of forced induction.

I've been speaking to a few people (one of whom is Ellzy ) who has just SC'd his car.

I've been doing a little bit of hunting around and would greatly appreciate advice on which is better for fast road use; turbocharging or supercharging taking cost of installation and getting the rest of the car up to scratch to take the increased power and stress on the car.

My initially thoughts were to supercharge but with the F20C more high revving and low torque, surely a turbo setup would be more beneficial? They appear to be cheaper too? What turbo kits are out there?

Thanks very much in advance,
Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 AM

The beauty of the F20C is it's throttle response, a super charger seems better suited if that's a characteristic you want to keep.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipGB
The beauty of the F20C is it's throttle response, a super charger seems better suited if that's a characteristic you want to keep.
Well there are pros and cons for both setups, I'm trying to work out which is going to be what I want! Taking cost into it as well

Having turbo cars in the last (my other car is a MK4 Golf Turbo) I'm probably biased but would love to hear of people's experiences of getting a these setups on their cars!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent around 6 months researching this before taking the plunge.

My key goal was power with reliability but for many people it will come down to what you are going to be using your car for, i.e. road or track, how much power you want & how much you want to spend.

Turbo will ultimately give more power & there are a few 500+bhp turbo S's on here such as SteveSC2, kitesurfer, cyber gook, S2konroids (in progress) and George with his 660bhp turbo monster.

I chose the S/C route as I wanted reliability as I use my car as a daily driver and have now put more than 5,000 miles on mine without a single issue. Ellzy has gone for the same set up as me so now there are 2 of us with the SOS kit

IMO 450bhp with 300 ft/lbs of torque is more than enough in an S that spends 99% of its time on the road, but that's just my opinion.

There are numerous options in terms of kits for both turbo & s/c so do your research and choose which which one is best for you as everyone will have different opinions
Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd ask yourself what your going to use it for. Ultimately turbo is going to make more power and give you more of a speed rush. However, if your planning to track it's also going to generate a lot more heat. Personally my car is for track and the odd road blast but I still want to keep the same manners of the std car if the mrs wants to come out in it. I'm fitting a supercharger.
The new SOS turbo kit does look interesting though
Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 AM

Well it's mainly for road use, just to upset the evos/'prezas/M3's of the world haha but may get it out on track on rare occasion too.

It needs to be reliable, keep the characteristics of the car and suit the high revving/quick throttle response nature and have every day usability.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K
Well it's mainly for road use, just to upset the evos/'prezas/M3's of the world haha but may get it out on track on rare occasion too.

It needs to be reliable, keep the characteristics of the car and suit the high revving/quick throttle response nature and have every day usability.
If you want to keep the engine characteristics then supercharger
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yorkies2k
Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K' timestamp='1377367821' post='22742749

If you want to keep the engine characteristics then supercharger

Although I have choose the turbo route I agree with the above comment.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K

In that case I would say supercharge it - again just my opinion.

Mine has proved 100% reliable for every day use with the occasional track day and has proved huge fun when you can play hard with the likes of an RS4 (on a race track obviously) and you can see the look of shock on their face when they can't get away from you

Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll see a turbo build is a lot more time consuming and more to it, I'm in progress with turbo build but supercharged my old s, sc is easy compared to turbo

Quick Reply: Supercharging vs Turbocharging