UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is it supposed to drink this much oil?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it supposed to drink this much oil?

So my S is drinking a lot of oil, I'm having to check it ever couple of weeks, its gone past the L twice now and I'm getting a bit worried.
In the past 3 months its had around 4-5 litres of the stuff.

Anything I should watch out for, just checked tonight and the oil was probably around 5mm from the L, put 2L in tonight and will drive briefly tomorrow to see if it needs any more.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems excessive to me, do you drive mostly in vtec, are they any patches of oil on your drive. Is the sump oily or any noticeable leaks weeping from the engine seals???
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just going on what I have read here.

The earlier models tend to drink a fair amount. Though saying this my 2001 doesnt drink a drop.

6 of one half a dozen oof the other.

Just make sure she has enough.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Do a compression test.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also worth thinking about the oil you are using. Are you using decent oil? I know of some people who have had the same problem and after changing the oil they use it was greatly reduced

Chris
Old 01-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses.
I drive mostly 30mph 4th gear, I do try to use VTEC when the opportunity arises just to make sure everything is working okay. No patches of oil, no leaks although I haven't been underneath the car.
Will book it in for a service ASAP, its due one anyway and get him to do a compression test.

Sorry about the terrible spelling mistake in the title as well. Coding at the same time as writing posts is a terrible idea.

EDIT

I use Castol turbo diesel EDGE
Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I certainly wouldn't be using that in a high revving engine like the F20.
In this case I can almost guarantee that is you went for a more expensive/more suitable oil it would sort your problem.
Give opie oils a look and see what they recommend. And then get your garage to supply it

EDIT: having done some research the fact it says turbo diesel isn't a problem but i would strongly recommend using a better oil. At the end of the day its not going to cost much just to see if it makes a difference

I used this on my EP3 Civic and it was all good
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-705-silk...e-engines.aspx
Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Might be worth checking the breather valve on the cam cover (goes from cover to the intake manifold), the pre-facelifts have a poor design that gets blocked.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the choice of oil, loads of people on this forum use it. (Assuming Edge 5W40).

Sounds like something isn't quite right to me.

I think you can correct your thread title spelling by going to the first post and editing it in "Use Full Editor" mode.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please do a search, that castrol edge diesel is what is recommended by the club 9 times out of 10?it stops most s2000's burning as much oil and is about as good as it gets without spending silly money!

its about as suitable as you can get. gets used in a lot of cars that go on track as well, i dont know of people on the club by name but certainly myself and haroon use it, theres lots of threads on it and its the oil that gets most recommended, and like i say, it stops most cars burning oil, even though it say turbo diesel on it just means its suitable for that use as well, not specifically. you could try titan pro race, or silkolene pro s or something, they changed the name from one to the other at some point, mobile 1 can be used also, but that seems to be renowned for burning off quickly. . but if its using that much castrol edge then i dont think youll have much luck with anything else.

try a compression test next..?

Quick Reply: Is it supposed to drink this much oil?