S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Suspension advice (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/suspension-advice-1172976/)

rickya 05-16-2017 02:00 AM

Suspension advice

Slowly refreshing my recently acquired S2K into a weekend / 5 to 6 trackday a year car. Car is a two owner 2003 with 90k miles and above average condition. Already done quite a fair bit to the car in terms of maintenance & servicing including: Clutch, Alloy Rad, Valve Clearances, Plugs, Brakes rebuild, Bigger wheels & track tyre, ARB & drop link changes.
Just bought some Meister R ZetaR coilovers and prior to fitting checked for any alignment issues further down the line. Turns out 1 lower rear control arm castor bush is seized and both front lower rear control bushes, haven't checked upper control arms. So for the sake of replacing 4 bushes, which may turn out to be more as arms are removed, Im thinking of doing all the suspension bushes on the car. But where does it end, should I consider doing the ball joints, if so maybe only the lower ones? Should I go for extended or OEM ones?What if the track rods are also deteriorated come alignment time they dont want to move? Should I bother with steering rack spacers or Rear toe arms (bumpsteer kit)? While the suspension is apart and off the car before Coilover fitment & alignment what should I do..........ahgghhhh where does it end......!!!!lololol Help!!!

loftust 05-16-2017 02:18 AM

The only way you'll know if something else is seized, is to try to remove the bolt (removing the but alone will not suffice). PlusGas is good, but has it's limitations.

If the ball joints operate correctly, are free from play, and the boots are ok, I'd leave as is, although you may see this as a suitable opportunity given the other work you are doing. Your call. Roll centre adjusters are really only for the hardcore if you ask me, but others may have different views on this.

Upper arm bushes/bolts don't generally seize, although it has happended to a couple of owners.

Rear control arms will be required if you are lowering more than approximately 30mm, and that's to get the rear toe in spec with greater static camber. That said, I found them invaluable in dialling in the correct geo settings for me when my car was ~ 15mm lower than standard.

Steering rack spacers probably aren't needed either, although I can't remember why I fitted them all those years ago...

FWIW, the only adjustment available on the rear lower arms are camber; not caster, which relates to the front axle.

Plan more time than you think if doing the bushes yourself - it's a reasonable amount of work. Also take a look at the various threads that show what is involved - they're a gold mine.

har-vey 05-16-2017 04:51 AM

For the rear, yes get adjustable toe arms so irrelevant to how low you choose to go you can dial in your desired toe.

For the front i wouldn't bother with offset ball joints or lower ball joints (roll centre adjusters) as there is a fair amount of camber adjustment in the stock setup and most believe the s2000 doesn't suffer from bump steer. (although if you go for a hardcore setup you may max the camber out and therefore require the ball joints to increase this further) Not sure what you wanted the ball joints for. Roll centre or added camber

Steering rack riser i would get. I have them on mine and the steering rack still sits at quite an angle.

rickya 05-16-2017 05:18 AM

Thanks for input "loftust" & "harvey" :)
I dont really want to go too hardore with alignment settings or lowering but I think it seems Rear bumpsteer kit is definitely a good idea for Dynamic toe correction alone. The lower Ball Joints were just a thought due to age while suspension is apart, but I suppose they can be done as & when needed later. Also if there is enough camber adjustment in stock setup as mentioned, then standard ball joints will suffice when needed.

ps what is the steering rack riser, is it the same as steering rack spacer?

har-vey 05-16-2017 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by rickya (Post 24208670)
Thanks for input "loftust" & "harvey" :)
I dont really want to go too hardore with alignment settings or lowering but I think it seems Rear bumpsteer kit is definitely a good idea for Dynamic toe correction alone. The lower Ball Joints were just a thought due to age while suspension is apart, but I suppose they can be done as & when needed later. Also if there is enough camber adjustment in stock setup as mentioned, then standard ball joints will suffice when needed.

ps what is the steering rack riser, is it the same as steering rack spacer?

Yes same thing. It just raises the steering rack up so that the track rods are closer to horizontal

rickya 05-16-2017 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by har-vey (Post 24208731)
Yes same thing. It just raises the steering rack up so that the track rods are closer to horizontal

I could also do this with the front extended ball joints / roll centre adjusters as well?

rickya 05-18-2017 03:47 AM

How on earth are the lower control arm caster bolts & sleeves £164 for the pair!!!!! The cheapest I have found is Powerflex ones £134 on sale, it is madness!! lololol
Any ideas??

richmc 05-18-2017 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by rickya (Post 24209941)
How on earth are the lower control arm caster bolts & sleeves £164 for the pair!!!!! The cheapest I have found is Powerflex ones £134 on sale, it is madness!! lololol
Any ideas??

No not madness at all, you've bought a high performance sports car, the car might have depreciated over 14 years but the parts haven't and will always be expensive, it's not a Fiesta or Corsa after all.

Mate of mine has a 25 year old Lambo, and has just paid out £1600 for a new clutch, just the parts not fitting.

flanders 05-18-2017 05:55 AM

Honda Europe seems to be very expensive on certain low demand (S2000 is kind of uncommon) items.
In the US and some Asian countries Japan for instance, same parts often can cost just 1/3 of what we pay over here.
​​

rickya 05-18-2017 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by richmc (Post 24209983)
No not madness at all, you've bought a high performance sports car, the car might have depreciated over 14 years but the parts haven't and will always be expensive, it's not a Fiesta or Corsa after all.

Mate of mine has a 25 year old Lambo, and has just paid out £1600 for a new clutch, just the parts not fitting.

What I'm trying to get at, does the material and manufacturing of two bolts come close to £165? In comparison after market brake discs can be had for a similar price.