UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Suspension Bushes and Bolts

Old 08-31-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Suspension Bushes and Bolts

So,
Decided to check all my geo bolts while I have the car on stands and seems I have a few seized bolts on the front.

Near side camber bolt will not let go. Nut is off, but wont come out of the bush. Tried a big hammer and some penetrating lubricant...no luck.
Also removed bolts on both sides for the caster adjustment. Unfortunately the adjuster sleeve bolt is stuck in.

Anyone know where is best to buy from that does not cost a small fortune!
Know Tegiwa sell them, but at £25.53ea for the caster adjuster sleeve bolts (13 on diagram) and £13.52 for the camber bolt (25).....
That will be close to £70 for the 3 bolts

Anything a bit cheaper????

Also, I believe the camber bush will be destroyed by the time I have cut the bolt out. What is the best replacement bush for this? (Obv will do both sides). Get OEM, Powerflex, some other brand....?

Already have mugen compliance bushes to go into the caster spots, so these are not an issue.

Know they will be a pain to cut out and from what all the treads say, I might just decide to invest in a compressor with some air tools. Should make life a bit easier. (And always handy having a compressor in the garage).

Thanks
Old 08-31-2016, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a sabre saw and some decent blades. Will take forever with an air saw. I used the red Strongflex bushes as they are supposed to
be more like 'road' bushes. Bolts are expensive, not much choice there but they are genuine.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:04 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

No such thing as an OEM bush replacement, only an OEM arm replacement. Mugen and Spoon bushes are similar to OEM but you have to buy in pairs, poly bushes can be bought on their own. You can use an angle grinder for the castor bushes (sabre saw for last bit), an angle grinder for the start of the camber bush and a sabre saw for the end. Its not much fun with the saw since its slow.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I replaced mine with these about 2500 miles ago...
http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...89&var=38&dc=y

You can thank me later
Old 08-31-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell us more, any good?

Should it happen it would be good to know there is a cheaper alternative to go for.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Agree about cutting most of the bolts with angle grinder and do the last bit with a sabre saw the last bits.

With replacement bushes, I would always replace in pairs regardless. Would not want a 10year bush one side and a new the other.

Any feedback on Strongflex bushes? They are much cheaper than powerflex, spoon or mugen. But if its a case of "you get what you pay for" then I'd rather spend more and get better.

Any recommendations for best place to get the front camber bushes from?
Tegiwa only seems to stock the Mugen compliance bushes (Which I already have).
Hendy performance do spoon and mugen. Strongflex direct from their site. Cant seem to find them anywhere else to compare prices.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I have written acknowledgment from the company that these are made to the same grade, strength and quality of the oem part.
When i compared them to the arms i took off i could tell no difference, they where identical in every way.

I have only done about 2500 miles on them now and the geo hasn't moved an inch, car is nice and tight, no movement on the front end at all.

I have not tracked them yet though so abuse has only been pot holes.

These guys are very popular on the scooby forums, i did some digging before ordering and their reputation is top notch.

I also used their track rod ends too plus some other bits.

The bolts i got genuine from Si at Hendy's though, they cost more than the arms together though
Old 09-01-2016, 12:23 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

That's a really well priced site, and thanks for the quality investigation. Not overly fond of poly bushes and have a desire to get back to rubber ones at some point. Plus the 3rd party drop ARB links I have seem to move around a bit - so might pick up some of those from there too.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
I replaced mine with these about 2500 miles ago...http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...var=38&dc=yYou can thank me later
There is no bush kit on the link just roll bar bushes from Super Pro - so I am assuming you bought all the suspension arms from this link?
Old 09-01-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Have red strongflex in the rear they do not have s/steel pins,its the only difference from others.
Use white marine grease when assembling,had them in for 3 yrs no probs.
&
Thanks for the above link

Quick Reply: Suspension Bushes and Bolts