UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Take it Steady Guys..........

Old 10-27-2001, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take it Steady Guys..........

Not like me but a sensible reminder of what a dangerous place our roads are.......

I drove about 100 miles today and was unfortunate enough to witness one very scary near miss and TWO very nasty accidents.......

The second resulted in a car flipping over the central reservation into an oncoming coach.......made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.
The result of each of these incidents was drivers driving too close to each other at high speeds.
I am happy to drive at high speeds myself as long as there is a large ap between myself and the car in front. It seems to me that most drivers these days are getting complaicent and lazy.

Lets not become a statistic
Old 10-27-2001, 07:16 PM

Old 10-28-2001, 03:20 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You seem to get days sometimes, where all road users have taken moron pills before setting off.

Tailgating, cutting corners, overtaking on blind bends, all while going slowly. You wish you'd stayed at home and avoided the paranoia attack.

Other days, it's just the usual few cases of inattention/stupidity.

It seems worse of either very hot summer days, or about the time the clocks change.

We should take Andy's advice and beware!
Old 10-28-2001, 11:54 PM

Worst day of the year for road accidents today.... watch yourselves on the drive home.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Tifosi Red
Worst day of the year for road accidents today.... watch yourselves on the drive home.

Yep, I saw lots of kids on bikes tonight with no reflective gear or lights. When will parents look after their kids properly
Old 10-29-2001, 09:09 AM

I came down from the lake district to surrey last night. on the motorway stretches i came across 5 different accidents, all just happened. on the way up on friday night there were 3 others. most looked like high speed sandwiches. it was just a mess everywhere. why do people drive 4 inches off the back bumper of the car in front. 1.5 tonnes @ 90mph is a lot of energy to dissapate in the time it takes to hit a barrier.....

s
Old 10-31-2001, 12:17 PM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Had to anchor up rather sharpley on sunday on finding a buerk in a Rover 214 type thing over taking on a blind bend on my side of the road, both the the wife and I went silent for a while !!!

On the subject of driving to close to the car in front use the 2 secound rule , when the car in front passes a fixed object ( lamppost ect ) count 2 secounds or elephants or giraffes ect ect this is then min braking distance in good road conditions for 2 vehicle's travelling @ the same speed in the same direction, applies at all speeds
Old 10-31-2001, 12:37 PM

good lord all this happened on your way home?
Old 10-31-2001, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by CHIPPO
Had to anchor up rather sharpley on sunday on finding a buerk in a Rover 214 type thing over taking on a blind bend on my side of the road, both the the wife and I went silent for a while !!!

On the subject of driving to close to the car in front use the 2 secound rule , when the car in front passes a fixed object ( lamppost ect ) count 2 secounds or elephants or giraffes ect ect this is then min braking distance in good road conditions for 2 vehicle's travelling @ the same speed in the same direction, applies at all speeds
Another rule for braking and reaction times is 1 meter per mph. That's what my driving instructor reckoned.

Now when have you ever seen a gap that big in normal motorway driving?

I try to keep a good gap.... recently a lorry locked up in front of me. I was very glad of the gap, since all I could see was a huge cloud of grey smoke. Pampers moment going into that could, even when I was already braking hard.

-Brian.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:40 PM

I like keeping a good sized gap but people keep jumping into it, which gets annoying.

Quick Reply: Take it Steady Guys..........