UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Take it Steady Guys..........

Old 11-01-2001, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly seems to be muppet week this week. One thing that annoys me is people who drive outside the limits of their car or themselves.

Class example this morning.

a Calibra follows me off a roundabout onto a short dual carriadgeway section which is a bridge over the A331 dual carridgeway. At the roundabout at the other end I am turning right so I am in the right hand lane. Mr Calibra shoots past me in the left lane and take the first exit off the roundabout which is the slip road onto the dual carriadgeway, its quite a sharp left. Suddenly I hear a squeel so look over my shoulder to see smoke billowing from his rear tyres, and then I'm over the roundabout and on my way and he's out of sight.

I have no idea what happened to him but I'm sure he's lucky in that it could have been much worse. Thing is he will probably be boasting about how he controlled his car in a slide down the pub tonight.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by vteclimey
Certainly seems to be muppet week this week. One thing that annoys me is people who drive outside the limits of their car or themselves.

Class example this morning.

a Calibra follows me off a roundabout onto a short dual carriadgeway section which is a bridge over the A331 dual carridgeway. At the roundabout at the other end I am turning right so I am in the right hand lane. Mr Calibra shoots past me in the left lane and take the first exit off the roundabout which is the slip road onto the dual carriadgeway, its quite a sharp left. Suddenly I hear a squeel so look over my shoulder to see smoke billowing from his rear tyres, and then I'm over the roundabout and on my way and he's out of sight.

I have no idea what happened to him but I'm sure he's lucky in that it could have been much worse. Thing is he will probably be boasting about how he controlled his car in a slide down the pub tonight.
It's amazing how many people do this kind of thing. The slip road from the M1 to M62 has a sharp bend with '40 Mph' signs on it. It's amazing the number of cars and trucks I see all over the place trying to go a lot quicker. Not a problem for the S2000 though, or the ITR before that!

-Brian.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by vteclimey
Youth, inexperience and fast cars - dangerous...

Some of the crash stories on the main forum go through me, did you read the one where the 18 year old tried to get the back end out doing a 180 turn on the street? Spun the car through the centre median
Old 11-01-2001, 02:51 AM

Near me, there's an on-sliproad with a 270 degree tight left hand bend in it. An artic took it too fast last week and by the time it got to joining the dual carriageway it was on it's right hand wheels, and shortly after, it tipped over and then slid across the entire dual carriageway on it's side, embedding itself in the central reservation. All I can say is that I'm glad I arrived on that bit of road just after it happened.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
I like keeping a good sized gap but people keep jumping into it, which gets annoying.
I really do think we should adopt the US habit of allowing passing on either side on motorways and dual carriageways.

On that point, I just got back from a trip to Dallas where driving was an eye-opener. I've driven in around 40 different states in the US and I've found that speed limits are pretty much adhered to (give or take 10 mph).

In Texas, however, the faster traffic regularly travels at 80 to 90 mph on the Interstates (motorways). Mix this with overtaking either side and it makes for an interesting driving experience! At least the traffic keeps moving and there are few hold-ups (until there's an accident!) I found there were very few traffic cops too.

Then I get back on the M56 from Manchester to Chester and immediately get right back to that stupid and infuriating problem of everyone travelling in the r/h lane at 67 mph with two virtually empty lanes to the left

At least in the States the "pass either side" rule makes 80% of the drivers stick to the r/h slower lanes and, for those morons that don't and insist on pootling along half asleep in the faster l/h lanes, it's OK to get by them on the right.

Give me the US system anytime! Wish I'd had my S2000 there!

Pete
Old 11-04-2001, 12:51 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Leave as little as a couple of car lengths gap in front of you here and some moron will pull into it for sure. Australia is the land of tailgating drivers.
Old 11-04-2001, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Swurvydel
good lord all this happened on your way home?
Well this is the M6 Motorway which is a nightmare. Totally unable now, to cope with the volume of traffic. The stretch between Walsall (Juction 10) and Birmingham (Spaghetti Junction) now has the dubious distinction of being the most congested road in the world! Add the tailgating morons into the scenario and the recipe for disaster is complete!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:42 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Further to my earlier comments regarding distance keeping , in the wet count to 4 Giraffes . This method is that adopted by the Institute Of Advanced Motorists and I believe the traffic police The advantage over distance estimation is just that there is less room for error and is easy to check against any fixed roadside object or road markings your 2 or 4 elephants will allways remain the same within a small margin of error and any body seriously annally retentive can ckeck this out to four decimal places of ant

Silver/|Red , Honda Wing Badges removed , stick on front number plate , Painting calipers(now mixing red & maroon hamerite to give less vivid colour)Aluminium tax disc holder( Halfords ) As you can see only cheep mods there is a limit to enjoying the childrens inheritance and how far it will go
Old 11-09-2001, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by CHIPPO

there is a limit to enjoying the childrens inheritance and how far it will go

LOL
Old 11-09-2001, 11:17 AM

Chippo:

Your 'Giraffe' theory is hereby confirmed!

I think also that anyone with a silver/red would do well to consider using the HID's a lot more this time of year!! The car has a very definite tendency to disappear and become invisible as light levels drop.

Quick Reply: Take it Steady Guys..........