UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Take it Steady Guys..........

Old 11-12-2001, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]<...>How about the one that really pisses me off.. all these people driving around with front foglights on all the while when it aint foggy.(
Old 11-12-2001, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure whether it is legal or not, but overtaking is regularly done on both sides here in Japan. It certainly speeds up the driving, but with speed limits virtually ignored by 90% of the traffic, it can get "inetresting" at times!!!

There is a very low speed limit on the expressways (80 km/h some 100 km/h) but normal driving speed is 120km/h and quick driving is 140-180 km/h... as for fast.... don't even think about it!!
Old 11-16-2001, 07:36 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Now trashing my nuts of to get into 2nd gear approaching vtec in first gear , struggling to find sufficient drivel to post , seems to come naturally to some people

Reversed into some Italian today bent both rear doors of Berlingo not the S2000 , that would have been a disaster .

Honest guv he just appeared I didn't have a chance .

Anyway he looked a the front of his Punto no vis damage and shrugged his shoulders calmly got back in his car and drove off , any way I presume an insurance claims could have been a nightmare ?
Old 11-16-2001, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by CHIPPO
struggling to find sufficient drivel to post , seems to come naturally to some people

You seem to be coming along nicely
Old 11-16-2001, 12:11 PM

ANDY PANDY

This is praise indeed from someone whose bowel floweth over in bountyous profusion with often such lush and wonderous drivel
Old 11-16-2001, 12:18 PM

MUZ

Am I not correct in saying that jolly old Aus has one of the worst accident rates in the world ?

So considering this and the low number of vehicle's per mile on Aus roads I think this say's something about Aus mentality and the prediliction to tailgating !!

When ever I see pictures of Aus roads even in Sydney rush hour it seems almost deserted by comparison to even provincial Chelmsford , let alone cities like London,Birmingham ect ect ect
Old 11-17-2001, 03:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHIPPO
[B]ANDY PANDY
Old 12-05-2001, 04:09 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by CHIPPO
MUZ

Am I not correct in saying that jolly old Aus has one of the worst accident rates in the world ?

So considering this and the low number of vehicle's per mile on Aus roads I think this say's something about Aus mentality and the prediliction to tailgating !!

When ever I see pictures of Aus roads even in Sydney rush hour it seems almost deserted by comparison to even provincial Chelmsford , let alone cities like London,Birmingham ect ect ect
I'm not sure about the accident rate. I believe we are reasonably sane drivers for the most part, nowhere near as crazy drivers as the Italians & French for example. Tailgating seems to be the worst of it .. oh .. and not indicating when turning.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Violently agree to all above.

All accidents are preventable - just a question of circumstances occurring together, a bad driver will eventually write him/herself off - just a question of how many near misses you need to get there, like how many times you role the dice before getting a Six. We all have to admit our mistakes, the problem is that a bad driver would praise himself with the skill of avoiding the near miss - and go and do the same again or worse - the good one thinks about what happened and trys to correct the mistake for next time.

I think everybody in Urban/metro UK just needs to accept that gone are the days when having a faster car meant you got some where quicker - just because of the high density of traffic and junctions - If you splashed out on the "S" version of an Astra - it does not mean that anybody is going to let you passed easily - regardless of how close you drive to them or jockey for position in the slot lanes. If you really want to get there earlier - set off earlier.

Despite my significant indulgence in a 250BHP 2 seater and therefore supposed bias - a powerful car only makes a significant difference in point to point times on a very very open road - like in the middle of Finland! but then you might get stuck in a reindeer queue - not joking, it happened to me.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]

I really do think we should adopt the US habit of allowing passing on either side on motorways and dual carriageways.

On that point, I just got back from a trip to Dallas where driving was an eye-opener. I've driven in around 40 different states in the US and I've found that speed limits are pretty much adhered to (give or take 10 mph).

In Texas, however, the faster traffic regularly travels at 80 to 90 mph on the Interstates (motorways). Mix this with overtaking either side and it makes for an interesting driving experience! At least the traffic keeps moving and there are few hold-ups (until there's an accident!) I found there were very few traffic cops too.

Then I get back on the M56 from Manchester to Chester and immediately get right back to that stupid and infuriating problem of everyone travelling in the r/h lane at 67 mph with two virtually empty lanes to the left