UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

TCT + Timing Gear Change

Old 04-17-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TCT + Timing Gear Change

Hi,

I'm going to replace my TCT as its started to rattle/click when warm now, the car has hit 100k miles. I've read up loads on the swap, so the TCT part seems a doddle, but I've also been recommended to change the timing gear too.

Having watched the recent engineering explained vid he mentions it too, but then doesn't show him changing it.

Has anyone done the swap AND done the gear too? And if so is there some instructions on how?

Here all 3 of the above mentioned in one link

Ballade Sports

Thanks
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The Engineering Explained guy has owned a S2000 for only a couple of months. Not seeing much on timing gear replacement here at all. Lots of car and engine parts are marketed merely because we will buy them thinking they're necessary or better. I'd stick with a good TCT swap before thinking the timing gear needs replacement. TCT gets swapped in 10 minutes once you find the 10mm wrench. You'll need an Allen key, and needle nose pliers for the Billman or OEM version. Timing gear needs much more work and involves more risk with the valve gear chain. etc.

-- Chuck
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that, i think i'll just go with the TCT then for now. I've read about them correcting any timing discrepancies that may have occurred in its lift time but real world examples i haven't read at all to be fair.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy on here in the FS section selling the same patent as Inline Pro TCT's for 140EUR. They seem to have good reviews and no problems and are a fraction of the price of the Ballade/Toda.

Maybe worth having a look at.