UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Strange handling issue when turning right

Old 05-22-2017, 03:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange handling issue when turning right

Afternoon all,

Looking for some suggestions on what could be up with my S2000.

So to set the scene, car is a 2005 with 51K miles on it. Only suspension related tweaks are Eibach springs, Spoon front lower X Brace and Cusco rear lower brace. Had four new Michelin PS4's put on 1500 miles ago. Car was handling like a dream until around 300 to 400 miles ago. Left turns are as before, feel great. But when doing 40mph+ on right hand bends, the steering feels very light and indirect, can detect some understeer (or the illusion of), but when you add a little more lock it bites and pulls hard into the corner. Never experienced anything like this before.

- Tyre pressures are all good (same as they have been over the years)
- Checked the torque on all the lower braces I added over the winter.
- Checked all the bushes, no, play. This was confirmed by the car passing it's MOT this morning, no advisories (hence waiting to post today). I was semi hoping they'd pick up on bush wear or leaking shock etc. Both a perfect excuse for an upgrade, but "sadly" not.

So what next? Alignment yes, will get it rechecked. It was done approx 10k ago when I fitted the Eibach's, but it wouldn't explain why the car suddenly developed this issue. I've not hit or changed anything to upset it.

I've read online about re calibrating the torque sensor on the electric steering, is this work looking into?

Appreciate the advice.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

shocks leaking or bushes failed in arms, will explain the lack of reaction then grip. If its shock, will feel like front corner is falling away then grips up if that makes sense.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by johnckeen
If its shock, will feel like front corner is falling away then grips up if that makes sense.
Exactly how it feels. So if turning right, I would assume it's the left one I need to inspect closer for a leak?? Car feels just fine "bouncing it" and it passed the MOT this morning, I'd have expected it to be picked up on. Service is this afternoon, so maybe they'll detect something else
Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This sounds like the torque sensor on the end of the steering column; the behaviour you describe is particularly indicative of symptoms that many owners, especially US ones have encountered.

Replacement is straighforward. Disconnect the electrical sensor, undo the UJ half way up the steering column, remove the two nuts and slacken the two bolts that hold the steering column under the dash, remove the bolts holding the lower column to the rack, then wiggle the lower half of the column out. Install in reverse with plenthy of grease around the sensor splines.

You could try the torque sensor neutral learning procedure (front wheels off ground is advisable) before replacement, but it's likely that the sensor is faulty and has broken down in one direction.

The Service Manual, which can be downloaded for nowt, is very useful to diagnose such problems; by measuring the resistance between pins 1/2 and 2/3, you should be able to determine if the sensor is kaput or not.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the response. I did a little more reading last night and it could well be the torque sensor.

I'll see how much it is and if not too expensive I'll take a punt. Given how it went from good to bad overnight, it's more likely to be an electrical issue.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2017, 02:31 AM

I replaced with a used one as new ones were on back order.

Definitely worth checking the resistance acorss the pins though before parting with any dosh. If either reading is out of spec, it's a firm sign that it's duff.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:49 AM

Yeah good point. I'll try resetting it first. Then if no joy, check for resistance (may PM you on this if that's ok).

Looks like a new one is hundreds rather than tens, so definitely a last resort.

G
Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 AM

PM is fine - it is a doddle though, so no need to worry
Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Thanks, I'll look out the multi-meter when I have time.

Oh and Si @ Hendy came back with the cost I was thinking £300 worse case. Second hand unit it will be if it has indeed failed.

"The correct one for the 2004-2009 car is 53101-S2A-023 RRP £910.39. Normal 10% off this - and its available within 2 weeks.Si"
Old 05-23-2017, 10:26 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Might be worth importing from the states (assuming there is no left hand drive problem)

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/oem...FBQjMzMTAmcj0y

Their shipping policy is here, but it's probably best to speak to them about shipping costs.

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/shipping-policy

Last edited by lovegroova; 05-23-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Strange handling issue when turning right