UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

TGM - poor customer service

Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want a run a business you can't make a habit of upsetting your potential customers. Doesn't matter if they are newspaper stand or selling gold bullion. They may get a lot of time wasters due to their high profile, but internet stardom doesn't give you the right to ignore your customer base.

OP, I would try a local place to work on the car. It's not a mythical beast, you just require someone competent on a set of spanners.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just seems to be a common problem with garages - main dealers are better but still don't call when they say they will etc. Plus as stated above, they generally haven't got a clue!

I don't really want to use just any local garage because in my 3 or 4 years of owning it, only Honda have seen it for oil services so I would like it to have a proper look over to check everythings ok as we've decided to keep it for a couple more years seeing as they appear to be appreciating (we paid £6000 for it and it's a 2004 which looks a bargain now!)

It's just gone over £100k so could do with a spruce up. Just had a detail and booked in for new roof next month so want to be reassured with the mechanicals.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with JapCrap entirely. They are insanely busy. But I called 3 weeks ago, nice and early and I'm in for next Friday, possibly because I knew what I wanted done on the call. I've also had long chats with Tom when he's had tool-down moments and he's a genuine knowledge bank on these cars. Just wish they had good wifi.

I've also used Eurospec and was pleased with the service but they admitted spending far less time on S2000's. Whether that influences you or not it up to you.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Has anyone had bodywork / respray done by TGM?
Old 06-26-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car was at TGM for a day last week.

Tom has been a mechanic down for a few weeks, and has recently lost another. Couple that with the fact that they were at Zandvoort for a long weekend earlier in the month racing, and it's hardly surprising that they're a bit behind.

A major part of their business is race preparation and support, and we're in the thick of the season.

Give them a break. They're short of staff and it's a busy time of year.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:32 PM

Receptionist lady actually knows her stuff, makes a change from the usual receptists you get at main dealers.

I used TGM for a full service a couple months back Whilst they are clearly busy, Tom was generous enough to lend me his works van as the courtesy cars were out.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 345 Likes on 322 Posts

Car has servicing history with TGM I rang them before my ownership regarding an S2000 I have now, also on another occasion to find out about valve lash history.
On both calls I spoke to Tom.

We all get very protective over our cars,as is our pride and joy.

I will admit am very Anal at times/most of time also with fear about the care my cars have had or going to have,in fact if I cannot see the work being done will not go there..

So much so I diy all my own things where possible because of the Stress And Money
Old 06-27-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Tom doesn't have the luxury of a dealership to pay for more reception staff, as the owner and head mechanic I'm sure his priority is doing the best job he can on the car in front of him. It seems he has more than enough work for him and his staff, so can afford to loose the odd potential customer who finds his policy of getting on with the job in hand unacceptable rather than answering every query himself. If you are dealing with a small bespoke operation then that's the way it is.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Yes, Willie is a perfectionist. I don't think I'd trust my car anywhere else in the country.

Source: I've probably spent around £5k in paint over the years at TGM.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by S2KIP
Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000' timestamp='1435343757' post='23661756
Yes, Willie is a perfectionist. I don't think I'd trust my car anywhere else in the country.

Source: I've probably spent around £5k in paint over the years at TGM.

I'll get saving for my winter project....

Quick Reply: TGM - poor customer service