UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

TG's Top 100 cars ever driven - S2000 is 27th!

Old 12-09-2001, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought Jan 2002 issue of Top Gear Magazine. They have a feature on the top 100 cars they've ever tested - actually strike that thread title... it's the top 100 MOST MEMORABLE cars they've ever driven.

The S2000 is 27th (but don't read too much into that as the Citroen 2CV is 6th!!!)

Comments on the S2000...

"There are some who would have you believe that the Honda S2000 isn't much cop. Don't listen - this is one of the most exciting roadsters ever. How could it not be with a timber-shivering VTEC engine that revs up to 9000 rpm, the snickiest short-throw 6 speed gearchange and a tactile all-round double wishbone suspension? And everything is geared towards the driver. The gearlever is a wrist-flick away, while controls for radio and aircon are just an oustretched fingertip from the steering wheel. The digital dash (yes it is very 70's) makes for quick readings of speedo and tacho, all the better for keeping your eyes on the road. And it moves just as dart-like as it looks (in profile). Brilliant.
'About pure driving passion' "

BTW - Just to illustrate the variety of diferent types of vehicle chosen... No. 1 was the Ferrari F355 and No. 100 was the Messerschmitt KR200 !!
Pete
Old 12-09-2001, 03:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by PWE 896

The S2000 is 27th (but don't read too much into that as the Citroen 2CV is 6th!!!)

In terms of 'memorable' cars I have driven - nothing quite prepares you for the full 2CV experience! I owned one a few years back and absolutely loved it. The noise and handling are quite unlike anything else I have driven. Once you get the hang of preserving momentum at all costs, and planning overtaking moves a good 1/2 mile ahead, you can really move and shock in the 2CV - I dont thing that TG are that wide of the mark given their defined brief.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by ianl

In terms of 'memorable' cars I have driven - nothing quite prepares you for the full 2CV experience! I owned one a few years back and absolutely loved it. The noise and handling are quite unlike anything else I have driven. Once you get the hang of preserving momentum at all costs, and planning overtaking moves a good 1/2 mile ahead, you can really move and shock in the 2CV - I dont thing that TG are that wide of the mark given their defined brief.
Agreed, my first wife and I had two of the 'upmarket, deluxe' version... the Dyane. A green one and a yellow one. AS you say; there is nothing like it.

Mind you we only had the two for a short while. I saw the green one offered at a crazy price in a local garage; I bought it and sold it again two weeks later for what I knew it was worth (made
Old 12-09-2001, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ianl

Each to his own I suppose.
Old 12-09-2001, 06:24 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a very long time since I've driven a 2CV, but I do remember its bizarre charm and excellent roadholding. Couldn't get the hang of the gearchange, as I remember.

Would be very strange to drive one back to back with the S2K!
Old 12-09-2001, 07:07 AM

My automotive life long love affair has to be with mini's.
I have had two in my lifetime. They were unreliable, noisy and took a lot of time to maintain and keep on the road but there is something about them that I love.
A bit irrational really, but I expect, not uncommon.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
My automotive life long love affair has to be with mini's.
I have had two in my lifetime. They were unreliable, noisy and took a lot of time to maintain and keep on the road but there is something about them that I love.
A bit irrational really, but I expect, not uncommon.
The new Mini is in there at No. 11 but, strangely, not the old one (espcially as the 2CV and the Messerschmitt are there!). My first 'proper' car was a Mini (turquoise with on-floor starter) and I loved it!

Pete
Old 12-09-2001, 08:51 AM

Interestingly enough, both of my Mini's were sold on by myself at a profit. Not many cars you can do that with.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:13 AM

My brother's Silver '91 Mini Cooper only depreciated ~
Old 12-09-2001, 09:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tifosi Red
[B]My brother's Silver '91 Mini Cooper only depreciated ~

Quick Reply: TG's Top 100 cars ever driven - S2000 is 27th!