S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Thinking of selling up (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/thinking-selling-up-1193369/)

Chuck S 04-17-2019 04:35 AM

Selling up? Seems a major down to me if we're talking about the original MGB which I owned back in the 1970s. US Spec car so crippled with emissions controls that it was not fun to drive other than being a convertible. My maintenance officer walked into my office one day asking for my car keys so he could "check it out." Got the car back that afternoon running amazingly well. There were two large cardboard boxes in the trunk (boot) full of extraneous parts. No MOT here. :) Thing still had mechanical points for the Lucas ignition which I had to replace to make the car quasi reliable. I have not a tiny bit of nostalgia for this car nor my earlier TR4A which had the engine seize (and lock the rear wheels) at speed on the highway after 6 months.

Give me the Honda S2000 every day. :)

-- Chuck

Drogo 04-17-2019 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 (Post 24590904)
i recall the days of points, distributors, carbs and chokes and its all good so long as you are not relying on that car to start

how many miles do you do in the S?

So do I :ponder:
The S used to be a daily driver but now only weekend fun.

Owd-Guy 04-17-2019 05:39 AM

Not an Mgb but I bought a concourse standard Triumph Stag after wanting one for over 40 years. This was 3 years ago and 1 year after buying my S2k. My wife and I love one of the two and it unfortunately isn’t the one with 3litre V8 and if I have to let one go it won’t be the little Honda.

Nottm_S2 04-17-2019 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Drogo (Post 24590910)
So do I :ponder:
The S used to be a daily driver but now only weekend fun.

life is too short and all that, go for it, assuming you have many, many spanners :D

i dont miss chokes, mainly cos me bike has one.. they are a royal pain

unclefester 04-17-2019 11:36 AM

MGB?

Fack no. Rusty scrap piles. No crash resistance and awful handling. No amount of retro cannot hide the fact they are AWFUL cars.

Now an MGA or MGC maybe. but as a 3rd car only and never to replace an S2000

Drogo 04-17-2019 12:06 PM

You just sold yours.

unclefester 04-17-2019 12:48 PM

Yup. 9 years of fun. But it has not been replaced with nasty old English rustbish.

Actually, to add context to this - it has taken 3 years of doing progressively less and less miles but equal amounts of tax / insurance and maintenance to get to the point of properly selling it instead of just talking about it. I have purposely NOT replaced it with something similar because there is little at this price point to compare to it. It was fun, exciting, reliable, a pleasure to own but i needed to replace it with a better car - it is not a good car no matter how good it is at all the things it does. That's the good thing about having a motorbike and another fun car, i haven't had to sell it and buy some dull family wagon.

If you want an MGB for a change that's fine but a cheap one will be an ongoing drive ornament and a decent one is silly money and will still disintegrate for fun. .

martin j 04-18-2019 12:56 AM

I last had an MGB in 2004, Midget in 2005, fun when running but!, if you want to go out and always start and be ready to go it’ll be costly, I couldn’t go back there now. A bit like when I recently attended a pit reunion, we all laughed and had a good time, but no one wanted “the good old days” back- regardless of how much money. Some things are kept as memories.

Nick Graves 04-18-2019 03:23 AM

I think we all get these daft ideas from time to time.

I came close to buying a 124 Spider last year for 2+dog cruising. Fortunately, the seller never got back to me and I came to my senses.

However, I've learned that selling cars is normally a bad idea, however much interest you lose in actually driving them. Unless you have a motorbike or something...

Chuck S 04-18-2019 04:40 AM

I'm curious. Did the UK MGB version have those horrible rubber bumpers and raised chassis we were subjected to in North America (and all the power robbing smog devices)? There was a cottage industry fitting earlier model front suspensions (actually the whole cross-member) and rear to bring the height back to normal but no real solution for the rubber bumpers. There was a relay mounted on the right interior fender that kept the engine running for several seconds after the ignition was switched off but when (not if) it failed it cut the ignition even when the switch was on. I I bypassed that device.

-- Chuck