UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

To those of you running a standard air intake...

Old 08-23-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Raffe
Will ultimately change the intake but TBH I have read so many different threads on this forum I'm not getting anywhere with which one to go for....far too much choice and info overload.

Will bite the bullet at some point and just buy one of the popular options I am sure.
With a potential power gain of zero to a possible 1 or2 BHP, is it honestly worth it? Anyone who says it makes VTEC more noticeable isn't feeling it in the seat of their pants, just hearing it louder. The only way to make improvements at the front end of the engine is with forced induction end off.

Just take the lid off, or do as I have take the lid off, push the clips up and fit the lid over them, that will give a 5mm gap all round the box, make a nice sound, and not make any heat soak worse.

I have put a Cosworth air filter in mine, but that was because it was cheaper than OEM, not because they claim power gains and better air flow.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Anyone who says it makes VTEC more noticeable isn't feeling it in the seat of their pants, just hearing it louder.
With the induction kit on, while the changeover was definitely more audible you could also feel it more. It was definitely what I would describe as a noticeable kick felt through the chassis. I think that could be something do with the resultant power curve not being as smooth as standard as someone has mentioned above.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:49 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Removal of the box does offer some weight reduction and better access in the engine bay, but I admit with the standard box, it looks tidier, which is why I kept mine.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Keep the standard air box - it's there to hide the rusting cross-member

Mine came with a K&N FIPK from the previous owner, I'm not sure I'd have spent £250 myself though.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For same reasons as others. It works perfectly and not a hint of kangarooing.

I often wonder why anyone would want to risk a 'free-er flowing' filter! Apart from the posible effect of some geometrical influences, a 'free-er flowing' filter basically has bigger holes in the element which will allow a higher proportion of microscopically fine (and typically abrasive silica-based) dust to go into their engines. Any imperceptible short-term power gain will likely be wiped out in the longer-term by a faster general degredation of their engines internals.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:36 AM

The sound of the stock exhaust with 35mm bipass pipes is much nicer than the induction noise. I do take the lid off the air box occasionally but it usually goes back on within 20-30 minutes.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Manufacturers don't spend millions of pound on research and manufacturing just for fun...
Old 08-24-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Manufacturers don't spend millions of pound on research and manufacturing just for fun...
I'm well aware of the amount OEM's spend on design & development.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I also was a supporter of the OEM box.

I personally hate the induction noise of an S2000, SC was its only logical replacement.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
I also was a supporter of the OEM box.

I personally hate the induction noise of an S2000, SC was its only logical replacement.
I don't see a time in the near future where I will logically be able to justify spending circa £6k to solve the issue!

Quick Reply: To those of you running a standard air intake...