UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Thought I would share my pain - MOT £1360

Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

So you are insinuating that all those who use reconditioned calipers are tight fisted skanks?

Sorry, I've worked in the parts trade since I left school, and not once have I had any grief with Re-con's Namely AMK and a lot of mechanics would back me up on that.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blimey, this went bad quickly!

If you don;t mind me asking, what actually was wrong with the caliper to fail - just interest as everytime someone mentions something going wrong I panic that mine might be on its way haha!

By the way, when I was told I had a leaking rear damper I was prepared to spend money on new ones as opposed to re-con despite the high cost - and push come to shove I'd probably prefer new calipers to re-con.

Alternatively I use it as an excuse to upgrade!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Just wanted to add that when my front calliper seized on my CRV the garage I took it to said it was a weakness of Hondas in general. He said he'd seen a lot. Not sure if there is any truth in it but thought I'd throw it in.

Minvo - I share your pain Had a few expensive bills at MOT / Servicing time myself but the pleasure of driving it make it all worthwhile. Like you I'm not a DIYer when it comes to these things.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It is a weakness, because the Jp Shaken test requires a caliper re-seal at four years.

They think we're nucking futs for carrying out no caliper maintenance - ever - until they fail.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:27 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
So you are insinuating that all those who use reconditioned calipers are tight fisted skanks?

Sorry, I've worked in the parts trade since I left school, and not once have I had any grief with Re-con's Namely AMK and a lot of mechanics would back me up on that.
I'm not insinuating anything, especially as I have four reconditioned callipers on my car

I've also advised many people to save money by going for reconditioned callipers in the past.

I just don't see the need to have a go at the OP for spending his money as he chooses, especially when he's likely to know the options available to him, that's all.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Was referring to the OP and not you

Quite true, if he wants to hand his hard earned over for something no better for 6 times the price then so be it

Us Northerners aren't as rich nor frivolous with our money
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Was referring to the OP and not you

Quite true, if he wants to hand his hard earned over for something no better for 6 times the price then so be it

Us Northerners aren't as rich nor frivolous with our money
Minvo is a Northerner so far as I'm concerned
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by WinFreak' timestamp='1389190972' post='22955295
And then there's no telling whether they fitted new ones or refurbed ones either
Why on earth would you suggest that?

I imagine Minvo was well aware he could get refurbs if he wanted - he's been here long enough after all.

If he decided he was happy to pay the extra for them, then that's up to him.

Minvo, make sure you give the new callipers annual maintenance (a bit of a clean and a lube up of the rubber bits) and they should last you pretty much forever.
I'm not suggesting anything, all I meant was that plenty of people pay for new calipers and get refurbed ones. Visually or technically there's not a lot of difference because the caliper itself won't go wrong just the bits inside, but theres of course the difference in price.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the OEM Nissin ones are bobbins and a flaw on most Hondas (just like my Prelude before) and most definitely NOT last forever (Simon!)
So whilst I respect the OP's decision, the cost difference vs a quality refurb' just isn't worth it IMO.

Good on you for looking after your S though Minvo, it's only money anyway & won't do any good stuffed in that mattress
Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It may not be the most economical option but maintaining a car with OEM parts is hardly a mistake. If I could afford to have a Honda invoice for every bit of work then I probably would.

I'm dismayed that increasingly these days on this forum, tasteless body kits and wheels so wide that they have to be cambered over so far the handling, and therefore the very purpose of a sports car, are destroyed get people's approval, but a guy looking after his pride and joy properly gets roasted; how does that work?

Good on you, Minvo!

Quick Reply: Thought I would share my pain - MOT £1360