UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Thoughts from a prospective owner...

Old 07-08-2003, 12:15 AM
MGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts from a prospective owner...

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the S after having a few drives in one. Apologies for the length of the post in advance.

I currently drive an Impreza WRX STi, and I have had a deposit on a Mazda RX-8 since January.

The RX-8 was due to arrive in July, but it has been delayed and delayed and it now looks like November for the first batch into the UK.

Being an impatient g1t , I decided I should have a look around at what other cars I like. I have always liked the look and idea of the S2k, despite some of the mags being less than favourable.

I want a drivers car first and foremost, Im not interested in being a badge snob or poseur.

I went and test drove an S at my local dealer, it was only 10 mins with the salesman as passenger but was enough to make me want more

After a few posts on here to introduce myself, a kindly Mr Turner offered me a test drive in his ride which I duly took advantage of ( thanks Mark ). This was most enjoyable and the sound of the engine, particularly with the HKS was intoxicating.

I duly arranged for a full weekend test drive/loan from another dealer for last weekend. We had the car from Saturday lunchtime sunday afternoon and my observations are as follows.

Its so easy driving round town (much more so than my STi) it also feels quick under normal driving. I would go as far as to say that torque (after all ive read) is not a problem at all. The power seems to build gradually up the rev range, and when you get to 7-8000rpm its pulling like a train with a fantastic noise especially with the roof down. Its not ultimately as fast as the STi, but definately more enjoyable in the right conditions. The VTEC had been described to me to be on/off like a turbo but it didnt feel like that at all.

Plus points to the S2k are the performance, noise, ease of driving, electric hood (faster than Z4 - someone should tell BMW), fantastic gear change, controls all well sited. It just felt 'right' to me. The overall equipment levels and spec are also good.

I managed to go out early Sunday morning for a real blast and a quick blast of and im doing well over a ton (on a private road of course officer), also managed to get tail out a little around a few deserted islands (as long as no-one from Honda is reading), until the burning rubber smell stopped me

Downsides are the seats are a bit slippy in leather, you feel like they should be a little lower as well, and the steering is a bit light. Also obvious things like lack of storage space etc. I do also have some concern about winter driving after reading on here, as this will be my only car.

From being a complete sceptic, my wife loved the S2k and wants me to get one, as does my mate who came with me to look at it.

This is one fantastic car, much better than I thought it would be and you also seem to have a very good community here and are very enthusiastic about the S. Driving my scoob around the last two days, as great as it is, Ive been 'missing' the S already.

However, as much as I like it, I have to put my financial head on, so Ive decided to wait for my RX-8 viewing later this month to have a look at it and decide if it is worth the wait until October/November.

The trade in price on my Impreza is also looking bad, so I need to decide which will be the most financially attractive option. The S has great residuals, but with the rumoured S2200 they may be hurt if I buy one now. The RX-8 is a new car and a bit of an unknown quantity, but early days and restricted supply may give me high residuals.

Both cars to me seem to have the same ideal, albeit one a roadster and the other a 4 door coupe. Namely, a lowish weight, high revving engine, low(ish) torque but good bhp, good handling, but still with creature comforts.

One thing that is certain is that my choice will be one of these two cars. If for any reason I bail out from the Mazda, it will be an S2k. There are indications that the RX-8 performance may be disappointing, but the UK press launch is next week so there will be several reviews out shortly to help me decide.

I may even have both over a period of time, as I am a serial car changer anyway.

The S2000 is one helluva car. Thanks for bearing with me,

Mark
Old 07-08-2003, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always difficult to predict future values of cars...so I doubt you could split these with some NPV calculation just based on residuals.

Check the insurance for both and if you drive a lot of km's the Honda is pretty frugal for the performance. I thought Mazda had a reputation for drinking a lot..maybe the 8 is better.

If you don't need the back seats get the S

or at least wait to see what the new model is like.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post MGW, and it's nice to see someone approaching car choice with a little intelligence. If only everyone would realise that it isn't all about brute bhp and 0-60 times, but driver involvement and enjoyment. I agree with your comments on the STi having driven the new one recently. I found it an absolutely awesome performer, but had doubts about it's usability as an everyday car, the one I drove having quite sudden and brutal turbo- induced acceleration at about 4K revs.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:21 AM

Hi Mark,

Surprised (but happy for you) to hear your dealer lent you an S for the weekend - they must be more trusting up in your neck of the woods than down here

I also trust that Mr. Turner made you sign appropriate disclaimers before he let you loose...

I wouldn't worry about the winter driving. Even during the exceptional cold spell/snowfall at the start of the year, I didn't feel the S was any more difficult to control in those conditions than the other cars I was driving at the time - FWD and RWD. I'm not saying I'm any better at car handling than anyone else, just that if conditions are so bad that even after you're travelling at a seriously reduced pace you still find the S a handful then you probably shouldn't be out in any car at all in those conditions.

About the re-sale value of the S after the S2200 is introduced. As far as anyone has been able to tell, the S2200 will be introduced as a fixed head coupe only with the S2000 continuing in parallel. If this is the case then I don't see re-sale values affected at all as people who want the practicality of the coupe won't want a convertible, and vice versa: their target markets are different. An analogy would be how much you think the new 3.0 TT Coupe will affect the 1.8T TT Roadster. If, however, they make the S2200 as a conv. then that's a different matter...
Old 07-08-2003, 02:38 AM

Are there long waiting lists for the RX8 as there were for the MINI?

If so, keep the RX for a few months, then sell for a profit (one of my neighbours made
Old 07-08-2003, 02:43 AM

MarkB

Did that with our Mini Cooper.....paid 15 for it......put 7,000 miles on it and got 15 back in p/x for the Audi

nice one
Old 07-08-2003, 04:34 AM
MGW

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
[B]Are there long waiting lists for the RX8 as there were for the MINI?

If so, keep the RX for a few months, then sell for a profit (one of my neighbours made
Old 07-08-2003, 06:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MGW
[B]

MarkB,
Old 07-09-2003, 12:47 AM

As a current owner of an RX8, and previously an S, I'd say the decision is pretty simple. If you need the rear seat, like me, then get the 8 - otherwise the S. 4 doors and a roof doesn't compete with a drop top roadster. Esp. considering the UK version is down on power - 231 vs 250 JDM.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by john_grater
As a current owner of an RX8, and previously an S, I'd say the decision is pretty simple. If you need the rear seat, like me, then get the 8 - otherwise the S. 4 doors and a roof doesn't compete with a drop top roadster. Esp. considering the UK version is down on power - 231 vs 250 JDM.
Yip, if thats PS, so ~ 228UK & 247 BHP Japan.

4 doors wasn't a prority for me it was a brilliant novelty the 'suicide doors' but the 4 seats now is!

Quick Reply: Thoughts from a prospective owner...