UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Time to repair the damage

Old 10-31-2016, 04:14 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcS2000
Glad to see the car coming back together Ray. Top job.
Cheers Marc, i'll be using the rear part of the arch for another S i have which has corrosion problems in that area hence why i cut the panel so as to get two repairs out of the one panel
Old 10-31-2016, 03:00 PM

Managed to get a bit more done tonight and started to weld in the wing repair section,

The wing is bonded in several place's so the first job was to apply some bonding adhesive in the same place's as Honda did,

Then fit the panel into position and hold into place with grips and some big old magnets

it's now just a case of keep applying weld tacks and allowing to cool at the same checking the shut and body lines are still correct,

Then a quick grind down and a skim of bondo

the panel pulled slightly in a couple of place's with the heat from grinding that'll teach me to rush ,

i'll fill in and dress the plug welds tomorrow when the adhesive has set
Old 10-31-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The problem with skilled people doing this is that it makes it look easy enough to convince idiots to have a go .... looks 'spot' on that Ray.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

Your skills never cease to amaze me Ray, not only a spanner genius but also a bodywork artiste

i wish all these cars were looked after like yours mate
Old 10-31-2016, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by unclefester
The problem with skilled people doing this is that it makes it look easy enough to convince idiots to have a go .... looks 'spot' on that Ray.
Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Your skills never cease to amaze me Ray, not only a spanner genius but also a bodywork artiste

i wish all these cars were looked after like yours mate
Thanks for the vote of confidence chaps but sadly i only know enough just to get by when it comes to bodywork and a skilled body man would be able to pick a mountain of holes in my work, many moons ago i did work for a garage that did restoration work in the bodyshop and picked up a few tips and like to have a go now and then but usually only on my own car.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

But as you also said, as it will be wrapped, all it has to be is straight under the wrap. I'm with Nick on this, cars are for driving first and looking at second.

I still think the above is a dying skill - the desire and ability to have a go at something and doing more than an OK job in the process.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Bodywork is most certainly a dark art. Anyone can pick up a rattly can and colour match or P38 isopon and smooth, but doing what you've done... Brilliant stuff ray

Keep at it mate
Old 11-01-2016, 02:26 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
This has never been more true. So many threads online about repair work and the level of work is so poor. Impressive stuff Dave. Will be good to see it back on the road!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Some of the 'professional' repairs are also amateurish.

I would rather do what Ray's doing, than replace the entire wing, for example. There's less cutting, and cutting/welding ALWAYS allow rust in, unless you strip the shell and electro-phoretically dip it like they did at the factory.

Anyway, I take my hats off to the classic car guys - I've stolen a few images of Nick Driscoll and his Isabella coupe - talk about skill and dedication:

Personally, I'd have used it to strain the gravy and then thrown it away, since I have no panel fabrication skills and even less patience...
Old 11-01-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Very nice work Ray.

I always worry about welding bodywork because alot of MIGS wont go down to a low enough power. What one do you use?

Quick Reply: Time to repair the damage