UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Time to replace the soft top - recommendations

Old 06-09-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. To be fair I'm upgrading from a plastic screen and haven't decided whether I'm fitting the wiring loom yet.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Harry - I'm booked in .... Earliest date..? 4th of August! Guy must be good. Oh! And price was £450 fitted, for a burgundy one including the glass!

Chuffed to bits!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 PM

Just got back from Jack Smiths today. He is a busy fella, they did my roof and 2 MX5's plus a leather re-trim on seats and door cards on one of the MX5's. We all turned up around 9 and I was the last to leave at 1:30. Don't expect much when you get there, it is a small garage unit down a narrow back alley, and Ray always has an opinion, especially post election

From this, there was also 2 holes on each shoulder which you can't see in the picture.

To this

Old 06-12-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had mine done 2 weeks ago - and whilst it was cheap at £300, i think you get what you pay for.

Ray is not fussed about leaving tools and trim parts on the dash, probably not going to do any damage, but doesn't show much care.

Blobs of glue were allowed to drop onto bits of the body and the seats, again came right off, but not a great look.

The fit on mine seems a little off - the rear is not symmetrical, and is more flared on one side where the material comes down over the window. This may settle over time.

To remove the old hood rivets are drilled out. It seems one of the rivets was accidentally left inside one of the cross-members, meaning when I turn corners here a rattle noise above my head as it slides from one side to the other.

Ray doesn't seem to take too much pride or enjoyment in what he does and didn't seem too enamoured by S2K owners, who are a 'fussy bunch'!

I may ask to pop by (2.5 hours each way) and ask him to rectify the issues, but I'm not expecting to be greeted with open arms.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by calisfar
Just got back from Jack Smiths today. He is a busy fella, they did my roof and 2 MX5's plus a leather re-trim on seats and door cards on one of the MX5's. We all turned up around 9 and I was the last to leave at 1:30. Don't expect much when you get there, it is a small garage unit down a narrow back alley, and Ray always has an opinion, especially post election

From this, there was also 2 holes on each shoulder which you can't see in the picture.

To this

This size difference in the two rear windows.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:48 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
This size difference in the two rear windows.
The old plastic window is much bigger than the glass window fitted to everything post 2002. Why? Because plastic bends and glass does not.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mmmm, I understand you get what you pay for... And if it was a case of shaving £150 off of the price I probably wouldn't bother.. However, to get the hood done anywhere else seems like a £750-£800 affair, so this is almost half price! If I have to go and clay and polish the areas he was working, so be it.. I enjoy detailing my car anyway. As long as the fit is good and the hood is of good quality I don't really see the issue here.

P.S. tools being left on the dash, over the body, etc is probably no worse than most main dealers - honestly, they don't care.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I finally got around to ordering my new hood; Monsoon OE Twill-weave for 02-Onwards - being delivered for Thurs so I can have a couple of days DIY ( took a couple of days off) and I'm budgeting 8-9 hours so I can take my time and clean + fettle other bits that I can't easily access. The cost in time and money still works out about the same as a round trip to Swansea for me. I'll let you know how I get on and take a few pics
Old 06-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I finally got around to ordering my new hood; Monsoon OE Twill-weave for 02-Onwards - being delivered for Thurs so I can have a couple of days DIY ( took a couple of days off) and I'm budgeting 8-9 hours so I can take my time and clean + fettle other bits that I can't easily access. The cost in time and money still works out about the same as a round trip to Swansea for me. I'll let you know how I get on and take a few pics
Great choice, out of interest how much does it cost to buy a hood to fit yourself ?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sipha
Great choice, out of interest how much does it cost to buy a hood to fit yourself ?

Thanks
From monsoon (according to their website) £460 for Twill £560 for Mohair

Quick Reply: Time to replace the soft top - recommendations