UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tips for keeping my car in good condition over the winter...

Old 10-19-2017, 03:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tips for keeping my car in good condition over the winter...

Hi guys,

I'm not really sure how to approach this question so it makes sense, but I'm gunna go for it anyway!

I've just bought a new car as a daily driver, so for the first time in 2 years, I'm able to take the S of the road for the winter!! S is going to be kept on the drive, so, any tips or advice you guys have as to how I can make sure the car stays on good nick, and mechanically sound over the winter, without being driven...

Few specific thoughts:
- Hardtop, soft top or car cover?
- Need to keep the battery charged?
- Need to periodically run the engine, or just leave it standing for 5/6 months?

Uggh, sorry for this, I'm probably being an absolute bellend, but I though I'd best at least get some feedback!

Ta,
Grant.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

they are prone to a bit of condensation inside if left undriven during the winter. Ive had plenty of mould growing inside as a result, Worth putting a box dehumidifer inside, or even a bag of rice.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wouldn't use a car cover ... can cause more harm than good . Just take it for a blast every now and then when the sun is shining. I leave the handbrake off . Bag of rice ... not heard that before , I'll give it a go
Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers guys! Exactly the sort of info I'm after. Keep it coming!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
Wouldn't use a car cover ... can cause more harm than good . Just take it for a blast every now and then when the sun is shining. I leave the handbrake off . Bag of rice ... not heard that before , I'll give it a go
I used a breathable cover on my car for 9 years without any problems, as long as it's tied down so it doesn't move when it's windy then you won't have a problem, the paintwork and soft top are in excellent condition, I do undo the roof catches to take pressure off the roof. The car is 11 years old now with no rust and I had the geo bolts greased a year ago and they were all free, definitely leave the handbrake off. I take the battery off the car and use an Optimate charger to keep it in good condition. Before I start it in the spring I take the plugs out and squirt some engine oil into the bores and turn the engine over for around 30 seconds, then reinstalled the plugs and started the engine. The engine has always started within a few seconds of pressing the start button. I now have a doubling garage and I still stick to the same procedure, I keep the fuel tank full so no air can cause any corrosion. Apart from stone chips the car is in excellent condition.
The following users liked this post:
mikeg13 (01-09-2020)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Santenay
I used a breathable cover on my car for 9 years without any problems, as long as it's tied down so it doesn't move when it's windy then you won't have a problem, the paintwork and soft top are in excellent condition, I do undo the roof catches to take pressure off the roof. The car is 11 years old now with no rust and I had the geo bolts greased a year ago and they were all free, definitely leave the handbrake off. I take the battery off the car and use an Optimate charger to keep it in good condition. Before I start it in the spring I take the plugs out and squirt some engine oil into the bores and turn the engine over for around 30 seconds, then reinstalled the plugs and started the engine. The engine has always started within a few seconds of pressing the start button. I now have a doubling garage and I still stick to the same procedure, I keep the fuel tank full so no air can cause any corrosion. Apart from stone chips the car is in excellent condition.

each their own I guess ... in my limited experience even the breathable covers still leave the car wet/damp for ages .

Good suggestions with the fuel tank .. I'll go and fill mine up
Old 10-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Rubber glove over the exhaust to stop rodents or small creatures nesting. Trickle charger (harder on drive), dehumidifiers (usually in Poundland if you can face the embarrassment), Start engine and run for 15 mins each month. Take for a blast New Year’s Day if you not hanging out of your arse!
Flightman (11-07-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I have some STA-BIL 22239 Marine Fuel Stabilizer I use on the boat that I bung in to a full tank
A Pingi "microwaveable rice bag" dehumidifier
Suck a bit of Detol Anti Bacterial spray ( the aerosol one) through the HVAC - given up on the Comma "bug bomb" style of air con cleaner
BIt of extra air in the tyres
Battery, I try and get out with the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger every couple of weeks + fire it up and let it warm through
Going to leave the cover off this year - dull paintwork for three years running I think I've learned my lesson, considering one of those "car tents" but it means I lose access to my back garden I've given it a good wash and double coat of wax instead
I've sprayed/wiped a bit of ACF-50 on some of the aluminium in the engine bay, plus left over Marine fogging oil anywhere I can get it - inside wings especially
Maybe an oil and filter change in case of acids in the oil but looks like storm Brian might put a stop to those plans this weekend

And for the spring; if I haven't started in a while, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it a few times to get the oil circulated before starting
White Vinegar spray (Wilkos for a pound or so) to clean any mould that did form ( it only smells like a chip shop for a day or so - honest !)
Little Bob (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I have some STA-BIL 22239 Marine Fuel Stabilizer I use on the boat that I bung in to a full tank
A Pingi "microwaveable rice bag" dehumidifier
Suck a bit of Detol Anti Bacterial spray ( the aerosol one) through the HVAC - given up on the Comma "bug bomb" style of air con cleaner
BIt of extra air in the tyres
Battery, I try and get out with the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger every couple of weeks + fire it up and let it warm through
Going to leave the cover off this year - dull paintwork for three years running I think I've learned my lesson, considering one of those "car tents" but it means I lose access to my back garden I've given it a good wash and double coat of wax instead
I've sprayed/wiped a bit of ACF-50 on some of the aluminium in the engine bay, plus left over Marine fogging oil anywhere I can get it - inside wings especially
Maybe an oil and filter change in case of acids in the oil but looks like storm Brian might put a stop to those plans this weekend

And for the spring; if I haven't started in a while, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it a few times to get the oil circulated before starting
White Vinegar spray (Wilkos for a pound or so) to clean any mould that did form ( it only smells like a chip shop for a day or so - honest !)
That's a pretty comprehensive list - many thanks.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Wash the underside, especially the arches. Wash and wax the rest.

Quick Reply: Tips for keeping my car in good condition over the winter...