S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   tis the season for a spin! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/tis-season-spin-528379/)

Rapscallion 09-24-2007 12:12 AM

tis the season for a spin!

On my way to work this morning on scoot, raining stair rods.
been nice and dry for weeks so you know that amongst the standing water will be some nice greasy bits of tarmac - as evidenced by me locking the rear wheel on a scooter whose brakes are little better than a push bike

anyway a guy in an my03 S gives the car full vtec off the lights through puddles and 'orrible greasy tarmac

accident waiting to happen me thinks

Dracoro 09-24-2007 01:13 AM

Either that or he knows what he's doing and can control the car. :D

moff 09-24-2007 01:18 AM

No problem with the old VTEC in the wet IMO.

Just make sure the wheels are pointing in the same direction and the road is smooth.

I have always found it quite good fun, but keep the car in a straight line.

You just need to be careful as the LSD can do some strange things in the wet, even in a straight line.

Rapscallion 09-24-2007 01:34 AM

trouble is roads in brixton hardly renowed for their race track like condition....

add on white lines / bus lanes....

my post was semi jest but now begins the season where a lot of spins seem to happen and it struck me what i saw today probably contributes to a few.

moff 09-24-2007 01:48 AM

I would be willing to place

Survey S2000 09-24-2007 05:10 AM

Not sure keeping in a straight line helps that much. I was on the motorway dead straight and lost the back end abit. I was raining and i was travelling slow in traffic. Once the traffic cleared i booted it and as i reached vtec i lost traction for a moment.

Not sure about the benefits of the LSD if thats what happens from it. When and what benefit does it have???

Stookystar 09-24-2007 05:58 AM

Have to admit to driving fairly carefully this morning - first time out in the S when wet.

Fun though! :)

s2ook 09-24-2007 06:18 AM

I've just swapped my tyres for Toyo T1R's due to a small spin in the wet last year on SO2's (i wasn't even in VTEC!). I've not been out in the rain yet, but from reports they seem much better all round and have good rain channels. Hopefully these will provide more margin for error until I get round to my next mod...driver training!

LTB 09-24-2007 06:23 AM

Did you not consider trying the RE050A's ?

From what I've read you get the dry benefits of the S02's but they are also a lot better in the wet.

I'm due some new rears very shortly and I will be swapping to the above.

s2ook 09-24-2007 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by LTB,Sep 24 2007, 03:23 PM
Did you not consider trying the RE050A's ?

From what I've read you get the dry benefits of the S02's but they are also a lot better in the wet.

I'm due some new rears very shortly and I will be swapping to the above.

I looked at RE050's but they didn't come in the fitment I wanted for the rear (255-40-17). Besides, having just forked out for a new set of alloys I wanted the rim protector of the Toyo's and I got a good deal on them.

In the dry, I can't say i've noticed a difference with the SO2's although i've probably never taken the car to the limit on either.

Originally I wanted the RE01's but couldn't find a supplier able to import them and Goodyear have ceased production of the Eagle F1 GS-D3 so eventually ended up ewith the Toyos. For a third choice I can't say i've been disappointed with them...