UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Toms S2K

Old 06-13-2018, 04:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you for the kind words

I used AutoSmart Tardis and stiff bristled brush which softens it up then wiped off with workshop rags.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:16 AM

Part 4. Seems I can only attach 5 pics per post?

Few pics of the bumper brackets, coated in Zinc galv

Inner boot floor, Had very superficial surface rust around there, so took the sound deadening off. Flaked off the top layer then again used chemical to remove the adhesive. Removed the rust with wire wheel and then coated with Hammerite rust beater again ( sadly no pics of this )

My favourite part! the back boot panel, rear inner arches and any area that experiences road rash had a liberal coating of Underbody Schutz type stuff. Not like your usual Bitumen based stuff as it's oil resistant, layered up it also acts as sound deadening.

Drivers rear arch. Any overspray was removed with solvents later on.

Passenger rear arch.

Then final coated in Silverstone silver. Looking much fresher now! and hopefully a lot easier to clean in future.

Passenger rear arch

Part 4 fin
Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 AM

Part 5. The floor. Where the more Terminal work took part

All the grommets were removed, 90% of original underseal removed to ensure there was no rust hidden. Sadly there was! Front drivers side jacking point was terrible. I suggest you all check yours out, didn't look like there was much but turned into this. There are 3 layers of 1.2mm thick steel. 2 of mine were gone. Luckily the main jack plate was sound. The duck tape was a masking line where I flashed back the underseal til I found good metal. From there backwards she was coated in Hammerite rust beater again.

Due to the nature of the work, it needed to go on ramps, mate of mine not long opened up a shop so it was left with him for the day!

Sadly whilst this work was carried out, I fell really ill with food poisoning and was a write off for a week So only have a photo of the after work, still not right now!

Still mega chuffed with the result, even managed to retain the factory grommet hole, not the best of photos I appreciate!

That's it for welding ( thank christ ) Then both passenger side and drivers side were underbody schutz'd. The sill lips were given a coat of silverstone aswell. Looks so much fresher now and hopefully good for many years to come

Part 5 fin
Old 06-14-2018, 01:21 AM

Part 6. Spanner work!

The main reason for this work, was to inspect the transmission for a really, really annoying rattle on deceleration. Not your usual clutch buzz. So off with the box and it soon became apparent what was up.

CC release bearing on the left, OEM/Naachi bearing on the right. The broken retaining ring was wedged between the pressure plate and friction disc. Moral of the story, always used OEM release bearings. Fast forward a week or 2

After a bit of shopping around, ACT pressure plate, OEM FCC friction disc, OEM release bearing, OEM pilot bearing, and resurfaced flywheel. Flywheel had a fair few hot spots on it, plus it used to judder when pulling off a little bit.

Then it was box on, supercharger back on, then outside for her first drive, mainly to try out the new rear brakes. Few little things I discovered such as steering column splines weren't lined up so it was 90 degrees out, The laptop not communicating with the EMS ( left a fuse out ) the rear brake pad shims catching on the discs. God it felt good to be back behind the wheel. Clutch is absolutely perfect. Little weighter than OEM but so buttery smooth operation. Then it was MOT time, suffice to say she passed haha!

Thats it for today. More details on the rear brake kit tomorrow work pending!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to post.
well done
Old 06-15-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hurry up on the rear brakes .
Old 06-15-2018, 12:51 AM

So the brakes as a few people have been asking.

Done this purely as Preventative maintenance. As I plan on doing a few more track days to preserve the rear hubs and bearings. At N/A tune I seen tempertures of nearly 300c without ducting, 220ish with ducting on track days. So I dare say it'll be a bit more now with boost!

The old curved slotted solid disc vs new vented slotted disc.

Size difference

Old
282X12mm Discs
89mmLX38mmH pads
New
322x20mm
Lightweight alloy centre bells with custom etching
Uses Mazda RX8 rear caliper
105mmLX43mmH pads

Did have some photos of the RX8 Pad against the S2000 as there is quite a noticeable difference in size!

As it goes I am putting some miles on OEM/ADL blueprint RX8 pads and feels very good so far on the road, Pads appear to be holding up nicely, not seeing temperatures anywhere near what I used on the road to but yet to test them out on track. Braking bias looks like it's unaltered too.

Now time to enjoy the car
Old 06-15-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Bummer - is great for cars with a BBK, but the piston size of the RX8 calliper is too big to use for a car with standard front brakes .

Great mod though .
Old 06-15-2018, 01:11 AM

41mm S2K vs 43mm RX8 off the top of my head mate? Can always run a lower coefficient pad in place. I am trying these out first, then will try some other performance pads.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:52 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Wow great work dealing with all that nasty rust
The brake upgrade is also very interesting, are you using standard sized RX8 brake pads? I think the effective height on them should be 53mm.
This setup would then be 23% more rear biased than stock, so probably not ideal to run without a front BBK to even it out.
Whats the caliper sizes on your front 330x28mm kit Tom?

Quick Reply: Toms S2K