UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Took to my hardtop to reduce noise

Old 01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Took to my hardtop to reduce noise

Noise with my hardtop on had been quite high with wind noise coming from somewhere to the right and behind me. I could also see daylight between the glass and rubber seal on the passenger side so eventually I got round to taking it apart somewhat to try and reach quieter motoring.

For those that want to do similar, this is what is involved.

Firstly I recommend you purchase a trim removal tool as there are 4 clips holding each of the side panel trim in place. You can prise the one near the front lower edge of the hardtop off and from there work the trim removal tool to release the others. I found one of mine was already broken (not sure if someone before me had had a go, but didnt look like it. Anyone know if I can pick up spares?).

Be careful on the left hand side one, as the heated screen wire runs through it. Best to pull the wire through so you can remove trim completely. Pateince is the key. I did this all with the hardtop on its stand.

Then loosen the 3 bolts either side holding the spikes in place sufficiently so that there is travel. With help stick the hardtop back on, but watch out for the spikes as they will need a bit of persuasion to go in (oh-er missus).Tighten up the front latches and then without the locking arms locked, tighten up the bolts. Then when you lock the arms, it pulls the hardtop down further, and the effect for me was huge. No more visible gap between glass and rubber. Before I put the trim back on, I put some sound deadening cloth under the roof lining before refitting the side trim. Bit of shin-etsu and out for a drive. Before hand on the m-way wind noise would be apparent at 55mph and above. The result now is you need north of 85 leptons before significant noise. The whole cabin feels more snug than it ever has before and I am pleased with the result.

Whole job of re-aligning took about 45 mins and I class myself as a keen DIY (but absolute) novice.