UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Top hates of UK driving

Old 08-28-2001, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top hates of UK driving

OK so what are your top hates of British Drivers......

Mine are:

1. Driving in the middle lane when there's no traffic inside
2. Tail gating
3. Poor lane discipline

Go lets grow the list.....
Old 08-28-2001, 12:04 PM

Here's just some of mine!

Lorry drivers that take three days to overtake another lorry driver.
Drivers that think hazard warning lights allow them to park anywhere.
Drivers that don't understand mini roubabouts.

Old 08-28-2001, 12:08 PM
SUN

Originally posted by A_Wooly
Here's just some of mine!

Drivers that think hazard warning lights allow them to park anywhere.

"Hazard lights" is that what we call French parking lights around here LOL
Old 08-28-2001, 12:10 PM

1. Poor lane discipline.
2. Tailgating.
3. Idiots who pull out on you and make you have to break hard (especially when there is nobody behind you).
4. People who park their cars really close to yours on car parks.
5. People who park their cars in dangerous places nowhere near to the kerb.
6. White van man (and company car man) who drive crap cars but think they can give you a good race
7. People who indicate to go left but actually go right
8. People who are more interested in their mobile phones / wives / children / radios / make-up / hair / contents of their nose or if their tie is straight than what is going on around them.

Sorry to rant but you asked

Ill post more as I think of them
Old 08-28-2001, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. 1 in my list.. tailgating. Very widespread and dangerous practise.

No. 2 Lane discipline. The worrying thing about this is it shows the driver isn't thinking about his driving at all. It's all a very NOW thing and everyone else has to fit in with it.

No.3 The increasing numbers of vehicles I see with only one sidelight, stoplight, headlight, defective indicators. The owners take the same pride in their vehicle that they do in their driving.

No4 At roundabouts I never cease to be amazed at how many drivers, particularly younger ones, will pull out in front of traffic from their right when it is little more than a couple of vehicle lengths away. A stall at that moment could so obviously have tragic consequences.

No 5 What really gets me out of my pram is people who approach a main road from a side road when turning right and pull straight into the carriageway forcing people to give way whether they want to or not. We all have to do this sometimes, but usually after at least a reasonable wait to see if someone will let you out.

No6 Doing U turns in the middle of the road to everyone else's inconvenience. Doing the same manouvre in the mouth of a junction ignoring people trying to turn in or out.

No7 The increasing practise it seems to me of jumping red lights longer and longer after they've changed.

No8 Why oh why do drivers continue accelerating towards lights on red and other traffic stoppages when it is so obvious they are just going to have to brake that much harder when they get there?

No 9 Not switching on dipped headlights in rain (mandatory)often when conditions are obviously quite dangerous.

No10 Why does it appear that no-one is doing anything at all about any of it(
Old 08-28-2001, 02:20 PM

Andy

[4] Couldn't agree more..... even more so when they damage your car and then give you agro

Tomki

[10] Couldn't agree more.

I wonder how many accidents are down to poor lane discipline (e.g. cutting people up at roundabouts, pulling out on motorways) rather than "excessive" speeding. I'll get on my speed camera soapbox soon.....

One of the wonders of this world was driving into Watford this evening with people driving down hatchings (coming out of Watford) as if it was a second lane. Where were the police to give them the
Old 08-28-2001, 02:28 PM

All of the above, plus:

1) Front foglights when it's not foggy especially when the road is wet causing horrible glare to oncoming traffic.

2) Rear foglights when it's not foggy.

3) People who 'get in lane' - normally the outside one, 3 miles before the junction.

4) Shed draggers (caravan owners) who don't use their mirrors to see the 3 mile queue behind them and hence don't pull over and let the queue past.

5) Queue jumpers in roadworks etc.

6) General lack of use of indicators.

I'm sure there are loads more, but that'll do for now.

Steve
Old 08-28-2001, 02:32 PM

Forgot this one:

Two lanes approaching a roundabout, two lanes around it, two lanes off it, but certain morons straight line it when you're on the outside of them. I wouldn't mind if I wasn't there. Mind you - it's an excellent way of getting new left hand side body panels - assuming they're insured - which brings up another hate - uninsured drivers .

Steve
Old 08-28-2001, 03:08 PM

all the above plus,

- mobile phone users are my most hated.
- people that drive too slow on motorways and too fast in restricted areas.
- stoned drivers.
- people that drive with their face against the windscreen... like they can see THAT much farther ahead
- elbow out of the window drivers... sheesh... they look so cool ?
- inside laners that drive at 55 forcing trucks to pull out on you.
- middle laners that don't move over to the left.
- outside lane drivers that don't move over to the left, you move to the left, then they do, so you have to pull out right again.
- motorbikes that swerve between slow moving traffic.
- wonky hubcaps
- joggers on A roads without a luminous vest on.
- cyclists on A roads without lights
- drivers that won't pass tractors, forcing you to overtake them all.
- cars/vans with no brake lights.. theres plenty about !
- people infront that use their windscreen washers when you've got your top down.
- gypo's that clogg up the parking areas with their smashed window caravans on country lanes, spilling their rubbish into the path of oncoming traffic and let their dogs roam close to the road.
- all other drivers apart from s2000 owners
Old 08-28-2001, 03:34 PM
tnt

My ten-pennyworth:
- 35 mph drivers in a de-restricted zone. I'm not suggesting that they speed, just press that pedal under their right foot a little bit harder.
- Tractors. Unfortunately a daily problem her in SE Kent.
- Motorbikes who insist on passing you doing about 100mph. Don't they realise that a) you never see them coming and b) if we have to swerve there's no way they'll be able to stop in time.
- Drivers who can't be bothered to ensure they have parked properly in a parking bay.
- Drivers of sports cars who leave their hood up in the summer
- Mothers who insist on unloading their kids from the car into the road.

And one more..........

- Drivers who think the world is their dustbin.

Quick Reply: Top hates of UK driving