UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Top hates of UK driving

Old 08-30-2001, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been into Mira a few times through work: a truly fascinating place to visit.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As already mentioned - driving in the UK - I'm sorry but you don't know you are born.

just spend a weekend in Brussels and you will determine that the UK school of driving is not so bad after all, at least Brits had to take some basic test - if you look at road fatality per population/car - I bet UK is half the rate of Belgium.

my absolute hate is watching adults let their kids sit on the dashboard whilst completely oblivious to the danger.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kobe - I agree the driving here is actually a pretty good standard.

But they still use any excuse to add more speed cameras

-Brian.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall
But they still use any excuse to add more speed cameras

Stockpile of tyres in the garage just looking for a purpose......
Old 08-30-2001, 05:35 AM

You've all missed the most annoying one of all...

You know - When you pull up at a red light behind a car in the offside lane thinking he's going straight because he's not indicating right. Then when the lights turn green he indicates right and blocks you behind him.
You indicate left to join the now moving nearside lane, but they all squeeze up and don't give you way because they think you're trying to jump the queue in your nice sports car.

Ring any bells???
Old 08-30-2001, 01:47 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

My recent trip to Germany taught me a lot about UK driving standards.

First off, Autobahn lane discipline and indication is truly first class. The authorities like to string amusing rhyming couplets over bridges to remind drivers of this, and not to use mobiles etc.

Obviously our approach of merely installing speed cameras to correct all the dangerous errors mentioned in this thread is far more sensible. Yeah, right.

Speed cameras? I think I saw one, not even sure it was in Germany.

Also, the Germans are keen to point out driving errors with their horns. A salutary lesson (and a suitably fast learning curve!) to stupid foreigners in strange and not Teutonic roadsters who are unfamiliar with local rules.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:23 PM

Argh!!

I have just had to endure my pet hate of UK drivers on the drive into work this morning..... rear fog lamps on a totally clear, bright morning, visibility was maybe, oh 20 miles

I had to follow a POS F reg Astra saloon for ~ 12 miles today with its rear fog lights searing my retinas.

Is this an actual offence in the UK? I must thank car manufacturers who have fitted switches for these lights that cancel when the ignition is turned off, I'm sure some drivers must turn these on once and then forget about them, leaving them turned on for the rest of the time they own the car.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:16 AM

That's gotta be my biggest hate, it drives me nuts, and the wife is always, 'yes dear, now calm down'. Poxy fog lights when there is no fog. The amount of times I want to fly past shouting at them to turn the light off.

That and the arrogance and jealousy of other, particularly younger, drivers when they see the S2000. The other day it was overcast but warmish, so (obviously) I had the roof down, and muppet of about 20 flipped me the finger for no reason (that I was aware of) other than jealousy. Its people like that that 'keyed' my previous car and make me so nervous about parking anywhere I can't see it.

Ross
Old 08-31-2001, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Ross
Its people like that that 'keyed' my previous car and make me so nervous about parking anywhere I can't see it.

Ross
I know exactly what you mean.
So far (touch wood) I have not had any negative situations while driving this car. I must admit I thought there would be a couple by now, maybe it's due to my cautious nature and total paranoia as to where I leave it un-attended.
I would think nothing of coming straight back home if the available parking spaces were not 'safe' enough for my Stook.
Probably a bit sad but it took ages to save up so I want to keep it nice