UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Torn hood problem (pics added)

Old 10-19-2007, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn hood problem (pics added)

Hi guys - this is a repost actually to get some UK input. Any help is appreciated:

Got the car delivered 5 months ago brand new, and was fine for a while, but a month ago the hood stopped going down all the way. Then two weeks ago, as it was going down it seemed to have some resitance, and then there was a pop.

Bringing it back up, the clip has popped a hole in the hood, the width of the clip and a perfect line. I was gutted.

Brought it back to a Honda garage as it has full warrenty, but they claim that this is not covered!! They say I was bringing the hood down incorrectly (in multiple bursts.). Now the hood won't go down through the last 20% of it's travel.

How can this be my fault?

Have you guys seen this before? Any suggestions? This was my dream car, and I used to love Honda and their engineering, and customer service. Now I'm bloody fuming.

Cheers lads.

PS - I'm moonrock with red leather, ND07 plate, often bombing around north London and up and down the M1 if anyone has seen me about.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:42 AM

What a load of , your dealer is taking the micky.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by bscott,Oct 19 2007, 02:38 PM
Brought it back to a Honda garage as it has full warrenty, but they claim that this is not covered!! They say I was bringing the hood down incorrectly (in multiple bursts.). Now the hood won't go down through the last 20% of it's travel.

How can this be my fault?
Exactly, how can this be your fault - you have one button to use, assuming you've not sat on the hood to get it down (which you wouldn't tell the dealer anyway).

A picture would help, as I don't know which clip you are referring to but to be honest it doesn't matter. What the dealer has told you is total BS and from the information you have provided i'd say you will definitey be able to get this replaced under warrenty, no question, just need to speak to honda Uk or another dealer. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you mean the one of the two clips that holds the hood frame to the windscreen header rail has gone through the fabric? Did you reclip the the clips back up after undoing the hood or did you just let them flap around as you lowered the hood?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who is the dealer? Name and shame.

Are the two elastic straps, one either side just above your head in place and OK?

I think if you do a search you will find this has happened before but I can't remember what causes it although I think it might be to do with the elastic straps.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM

Your dealer is having a laugh. Looking at the instructions on page 86 of the owner manual, there are notices about not operating the top when wet, icy, covered in snow, in freezing conditions, on unlevel ground etc etc.
If lowering the hood in more than one operation is not recommended why isn't the switch an auto latching function.
I would speak with Honda UK if your dealer is adamant.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:57 AM

^^ yeah, those two clips at the front mate. I clipped them back up as you're meant to - then held back the button. It went to within 10% of the end of travel, then didn't sound right, but went down anyway. I brought it back up, and there was a 1" tear where the hood is.

On my other post a guy in the states had the exact same thing happen and they reppalced the hood straight away.

I'll put a pic up[ when I get home to show the detail.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 AM

As long as the clips where clipped up again, then you should be fine and the dealer is taking the piss for some reason. Take it to another.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shopman,Oct 19 2007, 05:55 AM
Who is the dealer? Name and shame.

Are the two elastic straps, one either side just above your head in place and OK?

I think if you do a search you will find this has happened before but I can't remember what causes it although I think it might be to do with the elastic straps.
The dealer was Enfield, on the A10.

They kept saying - "if it's an L shape tear then it's your fault and Honda won't cover it". Mine is not L shaped - but they're still not budging. I could try Chiswick Honda I guess.

Also the hood doesn't always go down all the way - sometimes it doesn't make it.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:11 AM

Take to Chiswick and tell them about the hood not going down properly resulting in the tear and make it clear the clips were both done up properly.

Its not up to the dealer to make the decision, its up to honda, but you really want you dealer on side when making a claim. iF Enfield have taken it on themselves to decide the tear was your fault, then you really need to take it to another dealer.

Quick Reply: Torn hood problem (pics added)