UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Torn hood problem (pics added)

Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the quote from a search:
There is another spot where the latch on the passenger side has punched through the top, this is because the elastic straps (PICTURE 2) that pull a frame support bar back when the top is being folded down, fails to be pulled back. This causes the frame to not fold right, and lets the latch to push into the top fabric which caused a rip/tear.
If these straps are weak normally the top doesn't go al the way down. Modifry does a fix for it
Link
Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers guys - this is all very helpful.

This was my dream car, and to have this happen then get such a poor customer service on what to me at least is a pretty expensive car is pretty upsetting.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 AM

Strangely enough I was talking to a friend of mine last night who is the sales manager at a Honda garage in the North East and the same thing has happened to his 06 S2000 roof stuck and when it came back up a small tear had appeared. He has just got his back after having frame and roof replaced. Your local dealer is having a laugh I think. I will speak to him over the wekend and seek his advice.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Just shows how carp some dealers are. As has been said it's not them that make the decision, it's Honda UK who decide whether it's a warranty issue or not.

Take it elsewhere to a better dealer and ensure they discuss this with Honda UK.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 AM

i've been working on my s2000 today - putting trim back on and wiring in an external GPS antenna, and i've noticed the rubber strap for the roof has split (where it's held to the frame by a rivet) it's held on by a thread.

not torn the roof yet, but is this something to worry about? it doesnt appear todo much (this rubber strap), im more concerned about the rivet cutting into the material. is this strap something i need to replace fairly quickly, or something i can remove and dispose of?

dont wish to hi-jack the thread, but it does seem kinda on topic
Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veehexx,Oct 19 2007, 04:37 PM
i've been working on my s2000 today - putting trim back on and wiring in an external GPS antenna, and i've noticed the rubber strap for the roof has split (where it's held to the frame by a rivet) it's held on by a thread.

not torn the roof yet, but is this something to worry about? it doesnt appear todo much (this rubber strap), im more concerned about the rivet cutting into the material. is this strap something i need to replace fairly quickly, or something i can remove and dispose of?

dont wish to hi-jack the thread, but it does seem kinda on topic
Yes, you should worry.
See my post above with the Modifry link.

If the elastic strap isn't doing its job at best the hood won't fold properly at worst you will get a hole or a bent frame.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Hijack away mate. If this is a problem I want everyone to know. I've gotta eat some dinner, but then I'm going to take some pics to put up for people.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by BLACK CAT,Oct 19 2007, 07:57 AM
Strangely enough I was talking to a friend of mine last night who is the sales manager at a Honda garage in the North East and the same thing has happened to his 06 S2000 roof stuck and when it came back up a small tear had appeared. He has just got his back after having frame and roof replaced. Your local dealer is having a laugh I think. I will speak to him over the wekend and seek his advice.
Please get the info for me mate - I'd really appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 AM

shopman - seen the link, and looked at the pdf file on how to. straps arent anything like mine. ones in the pdf look like more of the roof material, the ones that have pulled out of the rivet are rubber (like a wide elastic band). i'll take some pictures at weekend when it's lighter and see if what im talking about is the same thing you guys are on about

pictures might even help others out so they know what their looking for!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Some pics, top and bottom:

and

Is this what you guys have heard of / seen before?

Hope this helps someone else.

Quick Reply: Torn hood problem (pics added)