UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Totaled my S2K within a Month

Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I would buy it for £600 as you can get at least £1k from the parts and yes the engine might be risky to sell but as long as you are honest with the buyer you should be ok.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree, you could make some decent money back if you break it and sell the parts - I know I would. Assuming of course you have the time and space.

Although, if the engine was running for a full minute running up-side-down, that could have really caused some damage...
Old 08-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you and your brother are both okay. You made a mistake (we all do), and it sounds like you haven't been put off the car. Learn form it, and move forward. If they really only want £600 for it, I imagine you could break it and make more back from parts on here or eBay. It all depends if you have the time and space to do it.

Good luck with the next car.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, most of the money in a car is in the body panels and interior. If all the body panels are dented from a roll over, you don't have much luck.

I would be surprised if the insurance company gave you the car for £600! (From very recent experience)

Also, if it is a roll over, it will probably be a Cat B which means you will not be able to part it out on your driveway and only at a registered scrapyard. Some scrapyards are understanding, some aren't. Mine was, but it is totally up to the scrappy.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you're both ok.
If you have the space to store it, you can easily make the £600 back tbh.
That headlamp looks to be in one piece, and the 02 lamps are hard to come by (assuming lamps are ok).
Lots of little bits you could flog, but you won't make a fortune on it. If you do happen to flog some bits, I could be interested in some bits tbh,
Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Main thing is you're all right. To the christian motorists on here you've never hit VTEC in your S2000? So judgemental some people on here.

£600 I'd definitely buy that back. You'd make your money back and then some. Providing the engine cut out when it went upside down rather than ran for a lengthy period it'll be fine. Engine and box and running gear would be worth £1000-£1500 even with that mileage if you sold box engine ecu and all associated ancillaries. Anything else you sell, Diff, interior, seats etc is a bonus really.
What does hitting VTEC have to do with spinning and landing on your top? You can hit VTEC all the time and never have on issue. Its not like magic rocket power that causes the car to go airborne The only issue I have had with VTEC was when I was at full throttle, in a slalom, already out of shape on an autox course, where you expect to have the back end out once in a while. And it wasnt VTEC that caused it, it was driver error in that case. I simply over drove it and got greedy with the throttle trying to eek out another .1 sec before the finish.

I am not bashing the OP either. Hopping in a tail happy RWD can sneak up on you. You have to learn a cars characteristics before going too nuts with it, but accidents do happen. I am glad we are not reading about you or your brother being in the hospital or worse, so walk away feeling good that you are both OK. Sorry to hear about the S... that would seriously suck. But GLAD you are ok!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by Toms1989' timestamp='1440168645' post='23721869
Main thing is you're all right. To the christian motorists on here you've never hit VTEC in your S2000? So judgemental some people on here.

£600 I'd definitely buy that back. You'd make your money back and then some. Providing the engine cut out when it went upside down rather than ran for a lengthy period it'll be fine. Engine and box and running gear would be worth £1000-£1500 even with that mileage if you sold box engine ecu and all associated ancillaries. Anything else you sell, Diff, interior, seats etc is a bonus really.
What does hitting VTEC have to do with spinning and landing on your top? You can hit VTEC all the time and never have on issue. Its not like magic rocket power that causes the car to go airborne The only issue I have had with VTEC was when I was at full throttle, in a slalom, already out of shape on an autox course, where you expect to have the back end out once in a while. And it wasnt VTEC that caused it, it was driver error in that case. I simply over drove it and got greedy with the throttle trying to eek out another .1 sec before the finish.

I am not bashing the OP either. Hopping in a tail happy RWD can sneak up on you. You have to learn a cars characteristics before going too nuts with it, but accidents do happen. I am glad we are not reading about you or your brother being in the hospital or worse, so walk away feeling good that you are both OK. Sorry to hear about the S... that would seriously suck. But GLAD you are ok!
Come on... Use your noggin. I mean those saying to the OP,driving way too fast when they're making out they're the perfect, Christian motorist.

Also. If it was a Cat B they wouldn't offer you to buy it back. It would go straight to the scrappers. Or if you are a registered breaker with the relevant license, you can buy it.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:37 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad to hear you and brother survived such a brutal crash. Very lucky.

Did you have old or cheap rubber on the rears?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Come on... Use your noggin. I mean those saying to the OP,driving way too fast when they're making out they're the perfect, Christian motorist.
Please show me when I was making out to be perfect?

FWIW I've totalled 2 cars, both through my own fault. I've spun my S2000 at low speed, again, my fault. I'm no Christian motorist. What's important is the OP and brother are alive and that the OP learns from this experience which I am sure he will. As have I.

And to reiterate other comments, you can't store a cat b car on your drive. Once you take any transport/storage costs into account, is it worth it?
Old 08-22-2015, 02:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, tbh, I don't get the christian motorist comment either. This is about driving relevant to the driver's skill and the conditions. Nothing to do with the sanctity of the individual, however, I do get the point that tom is trying to make, I just completely disagree with it

As far as the OP is concerned, good to see you able to post on here - learn from what happened, increase your christianity levels a bit more and enjoy your replacement car, whatever that may be. With a bible preferably

Quick Reply: Totaled my S2K within a Month