UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tracday Insurance

Old 09-06-2005, 04:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD,Sep 6 2005, 12:34 PM
The indemnity forms signed to participate say so.
I suspect the indemnity form says the track day organiser is not liable for the participant's losses.

If you ever go to an event where this any element of danger whatsover (track days, bungee jumps, paintballing etc) you'll spot us lawyers - we're pissing ourselves with laughter when signing the indemnity form because we know that most, if not all, of it is unenforceable under the Unfair Contract Terms Act and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations My favourite is an exclusion of liability for death or personal injury even if the event organiser has been negligent
Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD,Sep 6 2005, 12:34 PM
The indemnity forms signed to participate say so.
Do they?

Well, fair enough, if they do. In that case, I'd guess that the circuit owners have factored the cost of them taking out insurance against it into the price they charge you.

I know for certain however that some of the track events I've been on contain no such waivers in the indemnity forms you sign. Usually, the organisers will simply ensure that they have public liability insurance in case of injury (or worse) and then leave it to the participants to determine what they do about covering themselves against damage to their own car or liability for damage which they cause to other participants.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 AM

The ones I have done have a form which says you have sole responsibilty for your own vehicle and they (organisers & circuit) have no liabilty. As it says you have sole responsibilty I assumed this meant you have no automatic obligation for others' cars.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:28 AM

Ah! That's the kind of thing I originally thought you meant!

All that means is that they, the organisers, accept no liability for any damage which might arise to your vehicle, either as a result of your own hoonery or some other participant getting carried away and T-boning you. It means sole liability in that the buck stops with you, not them, rather than sole liability in the sense of being responsible solely for your own car......

It does not change the general position which I outlined above, in other word's that each participant is responsible for the consequences of their own actions and for any damage which their own negligence causes to anyone else there.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Sep 6 2005, 02:28 PM
Ah! That's the kind of thing I originally thought you meant!

All that means is that they, the organisers, accept no liability for any damage which might arise to your vehicle, either as a result of your own hoonery or some other participant getting carried away and T-boning you. It means sole liability in that the buck stops with you, not them, rather than sole liability in the sense of being responsible solely for your own car......

It does not change the general position which I outlined above, in other word's that each participant is responsible for the consequences of their own actions and for any damage which their own negligence causes to anyone else there.
that's certainly the stance that bookatrack take. However, seeing as trackday insurance is normally limited to the value of your car, it doesn't help you with damage to other people's cars anyway.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:44 AM

That makes me feel a little better next time some twat is trying to overtake on a corner, if they whack me I can sue them
Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

so just out of interest, proper racing drivers must sign some form of disclaimer before they drive, or teams would be suing each other left right and centre.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craig armstrong,Sep 6 2005, 09:26 PM
My favourite is an exclusion of liability for death or personal injury even if the event organiser has been negligent
the first time I watched an F1 race at silverstone, this was printed on the back of the ticket.. as you said, you can't exclude yourself from a basic duty of care

nurburgring is particularly onerous to the "crashee".. first you need to pay for their recovery truck, then the repair to 3 level armco barriers.. (there is a price per metre already agreed) and perhaps the biggest hit is the lost revenue from the track closure caused by your incident.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:13 AM

I am going to the Nurburgring at the end of the month

Do most people just get cover to go abroad ie Belgium & Germany?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Sep 6 2005, 09:50 AM
The mere fact that you're on a track doesn't absolve you of liability for losses which might occur as a result of your negligence!
You can take the boy out of law but you can't take....

Quick Reply: Tracday Insurance