UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Which track day brake pads?

Old 04-01-2016, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which track day brake pads?

I want to use my S2000 for fast road driving and for trackdays (not bothered by cold stopping power)
Currently I have Dixcel ES pads and new plain Bremtech discs, and I can reach their limits even on the road.
I also find the pads give an inconsistent feel at varying temperatures, in fact more variation than OEM pads even though they are a bit stronger overall with better cold bite than OEM pads.

I make some trips to the states quite regularly so as long as I don't get stung on the duty I've got the option to buy pads there, I've put those options below too (converted to £)
Prices between pads vary dramatically, shown below! I've had EBC Yellows in other cars and I really didn't like them as the pedal feel is wooden to me but I've put EBC Blue on the list as the cheap option.

I'm looking for opinions from the people who have ACTUALLY used any of these pads on the track.

CL RC6 - £375
Dixcel z pads - £334
Ferodo DS1.11 - £318
Carbotech XP10 / XP8 (from states) - £250
Project Mu HC800 (from states) - £160
EBC Bluestuff - £160

Did I miss anything?
How important are discs? I'm sure the Dixcel FP are good but they cost 3 times they price of Bremtech discs.

Before anyone says I have searched on this topic but there seems to be lots of opinion based on assumption rather than people who've actually used the pads.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:41 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I've used the Dixcel Z and the even better RA pads on lots of track days and they work very well indeed.

Fluid is important, too. I use RBF600.

I've not used anything else, other than OEM, so can't really provide a useful comparison. Have a look at the "Brakes and Suspension" forum where you'll find loads of opinions.

Unfortunately, there remains a lot of purchase justification with pads (as there is for coilovers, oil, and all sorts).
Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I've used the Dixcel Z and the even better RA pads on lots of track days and they work very well indeed.

Fluid is important, too. I use RBF600.

I've not used anything else, other than OEM, so can't really provide a useful comparison. Have a look at the "Brakes and Suspension" forum where you'll find loads of opinions.

Unfortunately, there remains a lot of purchase justification with pads (as there is for coilovers, oil, and all sorts).
Thanks Simon, I've read all your posts and from what you've said it pushes me towards the Dixcel Z Pads, however have you ever tried Dixcel Z pads with standard discs?
If not then a Dixcel Z / Dixcel FP disc setup costs £700 vs a Dixcel Z / Bremtech setup that costs £450.
That's one of the reasons I posted, is there a more cost effective (price / longevity) track day setup than the Dixcel Pads & Discs that still works well?

Sorry forgot to mention I use RBF600 already but I don't have any brake ducting as I don't really want to cut holes
Old 04-01-2016, 01:56 AM

One last point I ruled out Ferodo DS3000 pads since the DS1.11 are supposed to last 3 times longer and are only slightly more extensive.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
What about pad life? I guess the RA offer 'better' stopping power but how does the wear rate compare from your experience?
What are you currently running? Discs and Pads?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PBS pads. Lot of the Honda's on Track lot rave about them.

Reviews compare them to a Carbon Lorraine / Carbotech / Performance Friction pad, without the price to match.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dixcel Z pads with slotted or plain FCR discs have always worked very well for me on road and track on both my S2k's.

Only downside for me is some high-pitched squeal at low speeds when the glaze wears off the pads, which happens a lot quicker with slotted discs.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:38 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by rexer200
Thanks Simon, I've read all your posts and from what you've said it pushes me towards the Dixcel Z Pads, however have you ever tried Dixcel Z pads with standard discs?
If not then a Dixcel Z / Dixcel FP disc setup costs £700 vs a Dixcel Z / Bremsport setup that costs £450.
That's one of the reasons I posted, is there a more cost effective (price / longevity) track day setup than the Dixcel Pads & Discs that still works well?

What about pad life? I guess the RA offer 'better' stopping power but how does the wear rate compare from your experience?
What are you currently running? Discs and Pads?
I don't think the disks matter all that much, although I guess you may see a bit more wear on OEM vs Dixcel but I'd be amazed if they last 3 times as long (the rough cost difference). I have cracked a Dixcel disk (although that was after a lot of miles). Avoid the slotted discs if you're concerned about wear, though.

The RA definitely last longer and withstand the heat better meaning you can get more track time. They dust very badly, though, do not work well from cold and are a bit noisy, so I'd swap them in for track days.

The Z can be used on road as they dust less and work well from cold.

Currently I have Dixcel discs all round with Z fronts and OEM rears, which is fine for the road. For Spa, it will be Dixcels all round (I have a collection of various pads with different amounts of wear to choose from!)

If mine was a pure road car, I'd just use OEM everything.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by S2KIP
PBS pads. Lot of the Honda's on Track lot rave about them.

Reviews compare them to a Carbon Lorraine / Carbotech / Performance Friction pad, without the price to match.
Thanks! I didn't know about these. I can only find the fronts (£95) and not the rears though?

My rear brakes currently get hotter than my fronts so I'm assuming I need decent rear pads also?
Old 04-01-2016, 03:07 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by rexer200
My rear brakes currently get hotter than my fronts so I'm assuming I need decent rear pads also?
In the past, I've run RA on the rear and Z on the front to deal with this, and it worked well.

Quick Reply: Which track day brake pads?